Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting all week for todays hunt. Wouldn't you know its gonna be a cold one. Hopefully by 10am it will be a little better. Spot hasn't been hunted this year and always held rabbits. Just hoping for a few good runs. Good luck to those going out today.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a great day today even thought the temps were very low. Dogs ran 7-8 and we connected on three. Had our shooters been ready they would have gotten a few more. Introduced a 11-12 year old to his first rabbit hunt with dogs. He loved it. He had 3 shots and saw a couple more. A really great day for him I think. My buddy tried out his new 410 handgun and got his first one with it. Overall a really fun day.

Good hunting friends.

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
Good for you!

We had a tough time of it

Went Friday afternoon and in a very productive spot... No tracks 2 days after the snowfall! Finally holed one up, but he was close to home

Yesterday evening, tracks all over. All cold, but one. Good long run. Somehere the rabbit pulled a ****** and confused the pup. Had to go in myself and get the dog. He'd still be in there trying to find out what happened... Lol

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Good work getting the youngster out. Reminds me of myself years ago, and now I've got my own beagles. Never too early to get them out listening to good beagles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
from the looks of your pic we had about the same luck today we took three rabbits too. missed one and passed on a couple to let the dogs run before they holed up, and had to go find another did you notice the scenting got tuffer for the dogs the later into the afternoon it got?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats to you guys wish I was there along with ya!!!!! Bout time Bill got one with that pistol huh:lol:.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from the looks of your pic we had about the same luck today we took three rabbits too. missed one and passed on a couple to let the dogs run before they holed up, and had to go find another did you notice the scenting got tuffer for the dogs the later into the afternoon it got?
Actually the scenting conditions were fine the whole time we were there. (3pm) The old hunters were tired out and the dogs were also. Plus i'd missed my lunch...can't do that too often.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats to you guys wish I was there along with ya!!!!! Bout time Bill got one with that pistol huh:lol:.
ok. you will be with us today for the first time together. hopefully, you will be the unbiased judge and finally inform bwade that my old half blind no hearing hound makes his 4 yr old look bad.

Just remember i'm the one with all the private land to hunt:lol:.....banjo

·
Registered
465 Posts
ok. you will be with us today for the first time together. hopefully, you will be the unbiased judge and finally inform bwade that my old half blind no hearing hound makes his 4 yr old look bad.

Just remember i'm the one with all the private land to hunt:lol:.....banjo

I had a blast today with michhutr and Bwade, My first hunt with michhutr and his hound Skeeter(the old blind no hearing dog) ever and just the 2-3 time out this year with Bwade. We started off slow with only a short run at the first farm we tried. After a hour of so we headed to yet another spot. Shortly after getting into the pines the dogs got em going. First rabbit went right by me and threw my gun up and pulled the trigger and "click" i forgot to put a shell in the chamber:lol:. Racked one and "BOOM" shot right behind it. It circled back around right to Bwade and "Boom" he missed 5 seconds later "Boom" michhutr got em with the coolest little folding 410. After giving the dogs some congrats we got back into position and boom there goes a nother rabbit. We had 4-5 good runs and I must say was probably had the funnest rabbit hunt of my life. I had a blast with a few guys teaching a younger houndsman a few things. Again I wanna thank u guys for letting me come along on the hunt with you. I just wish Lacy could have been there she would have had a blast.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a great time. Always good to meet and share fellowship with other hunters. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to hunt with your beagle another time. This "old timer" had a shot in the foot yesterday after our hunt and walking is a little slow. Skeeter's feet are a little tender from the ice cuts and needs some rest.

bwade wouldn't answer his phone shortly after you left and I assume you were on 23 already and he did not want to hear what I had to tell...:lol:

Be safe and let em run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your right i didn't answer my phone cause i had another 55 minutes to drive home before i got home. I was so tired and I think Longwerth was pretty tired to. You calling and telling us how nice the hot tube was doesn't help our ride home. But really it was a real good time. Hope to do it again soon. Take care of that dog she is a good one thats for sure. Cody is a little tired but he still managed to steal the wifes slipper and play keep away. I got to say i was more than a little bit tired myself. I think i will take today off. My son wants to take his dog out this weekend so i guess we will have to plan another hunt. Later to all and Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Good luck Sunday when you guys go out!!!!! Hopefully Cody Skeeter and Elle can get em up and running for your guys. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck Sunday when you guys go out!!!!! Hopefully Cody Skeeter and Elle can get em up and running for your guys. :)
I hope tomorrow is good for the dogs. We'll be hunting at the rr track swamp. Usually a good running site but hard on getting rabbits because its so thick. Hopefully, get you out again with us soon.

banjo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts