Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that Harbaugh'scappears to be in, any thoughts on his staff?

I guy it worked told me 3 weeks ago that harbaugh might try bringing back Andy Moeller (Oline?) & Tyrone Wheatley (OC?) for a spot on the staff.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
If I had to GUESS it would be Roman and Durkin.. But reports say he was probing NFL assistants to see there willingness to go back to college football. Although I would love if Wheatley comes back and coaches the backs as their are some pretty good horses in the stable.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If Hoke ain't on Jims short list as Recruiting Coordinator and or a "Michigan" Assistant that would be one dumb College Football move.. All BS aside, Hoke has proven that he can get it done at the "kitchen table" and has proven (?) it at Michigan for a number of years. Gotta put ones pride aside for the greater good when it comes to building a potential National Powerhouse.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
I don't see Hoke tolerating Harbaugh's style for more than 5 minutes...while it might be great for Michigan, probably not great for either of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I don't see Hoke tolerating Harbaugh's style for more than 5 minutes...while it might be great for Michigan, probably not great for either of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
This actually kinda scares me as it applies to the players recruited by Hoke as well.. You signed on to play under a big lovable guy and now you have Harbaugh.. :lol:

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
If Hoke ain't on Jims short list as Recruiting Coordinator and or a "Michigan" Assistant that would be one dumb College Football move.. All BS aside, Hoke has proven that he can get it done at the "kitchen table" and has proven (?) it at Michigan for a number of years. Gotta put ones pride aside for the greater good when it comes to building a potential National Powerhouse.:rolleyes:
I think you might have the pride equation backwards. Difficult to imagine Hoke wanting to stick around in a reduced capacity. He'll do that with another team, in a year or two after he chills on a beach for a while with his millions and a few boxes of crispy cremes.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think you might have the pride equation backwards. Difficult to imagine Hoke wanting to stick around in a reduced capacity. He'll do that with another team, in a year or two after he chills on a beach for a while with his millions and a few boxes of crispy cremes.
Like I said "it would be a sound football move". That said, I was under no illusion whatsoever.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Reports are saying Tim Drevno is going to be the offensive coordinator, he coached with Harbaugh in SF and SD and is currently USCs offensiveline/Running game coach..

Now bring in Rex Ryan for Defense.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Reports are saying Tim Drevno is going to be the offensive coordinator, he coached with Harbaugh in SF and SD and is currently USCs offensiveline/Running game coach..

Rex will be the next head coach of the 49ers.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They better make a good hire. Fans and media are already asking why York couldn't get along with Harbaugh.
CEO Jed York took to the 49ers' flagship radio station Tuesday morning and fielded an onslaught of aggressive questions from KNBR 680-AM host Brian Murphy.

York again refused to divulge details what led to Sunday's so-called mutual parting with coach Jim Harbugh, but York did state that their differences were "football philosophy" rather than "personal philosophy."

Echoing what he said in Monday's press conference, York brought up how, "winning with class is what matters." That sparked this dialogue:

Murphy: "Were you not winning with class?"

York: "Are you not going to blast us for off the field stuff for the last three or four years?

Murphy: "Was that Jim Harbaugh's fault?"

York: "Collectively it was all of our fault."

Murphy: "So why weren't there more heads rolling other than Jim Harbaugh's? Should Trent Baalke have been held accountable and maybe a mutual parting of ways with him?
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27229279/49ers-jed-york-faces-radio-interview-barrage

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Looks like Tyrone Wheatley is out of a job.. May replace Jackson seems qualified after coaching Syracuse and in the NFL with the Bills.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
durkins is now out of a job too.
after coaching florida to a win as an intrim coach, the new coach is moving on without him. Let's see .
also heard reports that Madison will more than likely stay on at some position on the staff

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

All well and good if this were the NFL, it ain't. Can they recruit at the kitchen table. Waaay different game here. Makes a difference, no matter how good they are at their craft in the Pro game, can they sell the program with any "honesty" at all. People will see right through them if they can't. Major college football recruiting is a tricky gig, gotta know what the flip one is doing to be successful. Just my opinion, what do I know anyway????

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
All well and good if this were the NFL, it ain't. Can they recruit at the kitchen table. Waaay different game here. Makes a difference, no matter how good they are at their craft in the Pro game, can they sell the program with any "honesty" at all. People will see right through them if they can't. Major college football recruiting is a tricky gig, gotta know what the flip one is doing to be successful. Just my opinion, what do I know anyway????
The Ryan comment was more of a joke and thought it would draw some comments. Not sure if Rex's D system would work in the NFL.. But ya know what from what I have seen of him, he may be a fantastic recruiter..

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
Who needs honesty at the kitchen table?
Being coached by Jim Harbaugh at the University of Michigan will most likely sell itself.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Who needs honesty at the kitchen table?
Being coached by Jim Harbaugh at the University of Michigan will most likely sell itself.
Ok, I have to respectfully disagree here. I think there are those that sell the High School recruit a little short in their ability to understand what they are up against with their choice of where to attend and play ball. Its my opinion, and mind you, just my opinion, that their are quite a few solid/needed recruits that understand that their future is not in the NFL. They may also understand the "actual time" they will be spending with the Head Coach of any "Super Power" College football program.

They just might be bright enough to understand that the majority of their stay at that Institution will be spent with the Assistant and their "assistants" , and that will be a major deciding factor. Not to mention an in depth look at the particular level of academics that a particular school may have to offer. Michigan/Harbaugh are not only recruiting against Saban, Meyer, Dantonio, etc...Probably first and foremost they will be up against the "Stanfords, Northwesterns, Vandy's, Ivy's etc. In the College arena Harbaugh excelled with intelligent student athletes. Other than Andrew Luck, name another Harbaugh Stanford player that has entered the NFL and made an impression. Stanford was a force to be reckoned with nationally when Jim was there. Again, just my opinion, Im probably wrong though. Heck, look at Duke now, they are getting into the recruiting fray. Times are tough on the "Big Money" Academic school front, the money has to come from somewhere not many can or want to throw down that type nut with the chang'n times (job futures). Quick influx of cash for the school? Maybe. But like I said, what do I know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts