Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't hunt but for you bear hunters..here is a read for you.

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- More than 100 people have been charged in the illegal trafficking of black bear parts following a sting operation in which authorities set up a sporting goods store as a front to peddle the items poached in Virginia.

Agents found that whole bears, gall bladders, paws and other parts were trafficked to Washington, D.C., Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, and California, as well as overseas, primarily to South Korea.

Each gall bladder alone can fetch up to $3,000 on the black market. The organs are believed in some Asian cultures to treat a variety of ailments, including high blood pressure, impotence and rheumatism.

"We've learned over the years what the impact of commercialization is. The temptation is to overharvest," said Col. Herb Foster of Virginia's Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. "Wildlife species generally can't sustain a commercial market."

In the sting, the state game department and the National Park Service set up a sporting-goods store to infiltrate the commercial black market, with agents selling bears and wild American ginseng roots. The operation used fliers and other advertisements to lure buyers.

The three-year operation stemmed from previous investigations that uncovered extensive poaching and trade in black bear parts that originated in Virginia, including Shenandoah National Park.

Investigators found that many of the people involved in the illegal bear trade were also involved in the illegal trade of wild American ginseng root, which is also prized for its medicinal uses and can fetch from $260 to $365 per pound on the black market.

Harvesting ginseng is prohibited in national parks, although it is legal elsewhere in Virginia with certain restrictions.

Authorities said more indictments are pending. In the indictments so far, 487 state violations and 204 federal violations have been documented.

Most of the defendants are of Korean descent, Foster said.

Kinda sick. Good to see these guys off the street, or out of the woods.

FD

·
Registered
878 Posts
This starts out like a poaching story but when you read it, the issue appears to be illegal trafficing with federal and state authorities being the suppliers -- "In the sting, the state game department and the National Park Service set up a sporting-goods store to infiltrate the commercial black market, with agents selling bears and wild American ginseng roots. The operation used fliers and other advertisements to lure buyers."

The article goes on to comment that it is good to get these bad guys out of the woods noting that "Most of the defendants are of Korean descent..."

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Call it what you want? I call it slob violaters getting what they deserved!!!! Sting entrapement whatever, I wont ever have to worry about it, I dont break the law!
More power to them, our natural resource's should be protected by all means.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts