Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the time to plant yesterday. 400$ to get 3 acres plowed and disced, 6 hours of dragging. Then I bought a tow behind spreader and started broadcasting. Well 25 lbs didn't even make an acre. What is the secret? The amount was suppose to do 3 acres. But at least I got 15 lbs of corn in. Now the weather Here it is race day at MIS and I'm not sure do I want it to rain or not. I guess it's not up to me sure looks good for my seed. So much for racing. Well I'll be there getting wet any ways.
By the way don't underestimate how hard it is putting in food plots. Especially in 90 degree weather. But the deer were watching while we worked wondering whens dinner.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Clover is very small seedyour opening should have been a max is 1/8 inch i set my a little less and then when acroos ways to make sure i got even seeding you will get clover VERY thick in the area you planted. P.S> What brand did you use?

·
Administrator
35,862 Posts
Steve, thanks for your posts on this subject. We need some more experts in this forum. Would you like to be a moderator here?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I noticed that Ross is planting clover in the beginning of July. Is this the time to plant clover because most planting for anything is in the spring or fall? I planted my deer mix in April and it doesn't appear to have produced very well. The days were warm and the rain was occassional. What gives?

Randy

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am from a farming community so i can tell you a small amount about planting you have up until the 2 week in june to get your crop in if you plant to early you may get cold nights and too much rain. This year Has great for planting, the amount of heat and the rain has been a great year so far. I have to mow my yard twice a week. There are many thing that could have caused your crop not to grow soil too acidtic, or not enough calicium. The best is to have the soil tested and there is even a way your are to get samples to ensure you get a accurate reading. Potash is another thing that could cause you trouble. I planted mine in the last week in april we got good rain and the temp has been great.fertlizer is to be used but be sure to use somthing like a 0-16-16 the first number is nitrogen that is what makes your grass green but it also cause the weeds to grow ... it could cause them to grow fast enough to take what little nutraints that are in the soil and cause your clover or corn not to grow. I also learned alot from joining Pheasants Forever they give you seed and fertlizer to plant cover . Good luck Let me know if i can be of any help.

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 07-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Steve in MI (edited 07-06-2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts