Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noted this before and it rings true again this year. Bears just love clovers at this time of the year.

This is just a "wide spot" in a travel corridor which is near one of Elaine's favorite box blinds so I keep a little clover here and then broadcast some rye into it in the fall.

Here is what it looked like last fall:

About 2 weeks ago I transplanted a few of the crabapples here which I started from seed last year. Somebody already decided to monkey with my newly tubed tree...

It didn't take too much investigation to find out who? There were at least a dozen bear scats in this little stand of clovers.

Not entirely sure but I didn't see much rye left yesterday either so he could be foraging on that as well, but I know the deer are still browsing some on it also.

Will set up a camera out there today and see if I can get a pic of him.

This served as a reminder that May is the month when we apply for bear tags... I need to do that today.

·
Registered
36,027 Posts
I’ve noticed that same thing with clover plots in the fall. Scat piles are 6” tall with nothing but green in it. Bear look like cattle taking in mouth fulls of clover. Grouse also find in very attractive. It will always be part of my plots that I tend to. It’s almost time to spray for grasses, we have had too much wind to consider spraying when i have time. I’m behind on fertilization efforts but that will be taken care of well before the end of the month.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve noticed that same thing with clover plots in the fall. Scat piles are 6” tall with nothing but green in it. Bear look like cattle taking in mouth fulls of clover. Grouse also find in very attractive. It will always be part of my plots that I tend to. It’s almost time to spray for grasses, we have had too much wind to consider spraying when i have time. I’m behind on fertilization efforts but that will be taken care of well before the end of the month.
Yes - the grouse will be all over this clover in the fall for sure.

It is about time to spray for grasses in my clover here as well. And yesterday, I also noticed a lot of dandelion up in some of my clover strips. The rye is getting pretty much beyond the palatability for the deer so it can go any time now. Deer are on the alfalfa/clover plots and loving it right now. I think I will mix up a low dose of Glyphosate (1/2 qt - 3/4 qt) and nuke both the rye and the dandelions soon. Sending soil samples in today but may find time to spray this afternoon if the wind stays down.

Reactions: Fish Hook

·
Registered
36,027 Posts
We must be a few weeks behind you in spring green up. My rye and wheat are looking good but are only 3-4” high but that changes fast. Sunny and 60* the next couple of days will help. The soil is starting to dry out enough to support my tractor. First up will be fracturing the hard pan with one pass of the subsoiler to help drain off future standing water. Hand trenching a dozen or so spots really helped get rid of a few problem areas. While I have the subsoiler hooked up I have a small island of stumps in one plot I want to remove or at the very least reduce the perimeter root mass.

Reactions: Fish Hook

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We must be a few weeks behind you in spring green up. My rye and wheat are looking good but are only 3-4” high but that changes fast. Sunny and 60* the next couple of days will help. The soil is starting to dry out enough to support my tractor. First up will be fracturing the hard pan with one pass of the subsoiler to help drain off future standing water. Hand trenching a dozen or so spots really helped get rid of a few problem areas. While I have the subsoiler hooked up I have a small island of stumps in one plot I want to remove or at the very least reduce the perimeter root mass.
We are probably a little ahead of you Mike. We are in the "Banana Belt" here.

I normally have a big puddle in this field every spring...

but it is dry as a bone this year...

The rye in the cover crop I planted last fall is about a foot tall now...

but the deer aren't going to forage on that when they have this nice lush clover in the alfalfa/clover plots coming on now. Alfalfa isn't up very well yet but the clover is...

Don't ask me where all these dandelions came from in my clover strips... but I'll be nuking them soon.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guy's got it going on gents ! Beautiful :)
Good luck with your Bear Tag Wild Thing
Thanks AJ. I will likely need some luck to draw the first season hunt this year. Last year you needed 6 or 7 preference points to draw. I thought I had 6 but when I logged in to make my application yesterday the website said I only have 5. Fingers crossed but I may have to wait another year :(

I did go out and set up a camera there yesterday.

Reactions: snortwheeze and 3X8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts