Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I am planning on really hitting archery season hard. I really have never had any real bow hunting clothes. I always went up to the house up north and put on my heavy bibs with a camo sweatshirt. None of that is scent-lok or any other type.

I started looking at Cabelas and I found that I like the Silent Weave products in Realtree AP HD pattern. The price is right but I feel held back by my conscience.

Is Scent-Lok truly worth an extra $60-$80 total between a pair of pants and an uninsulated coat?

How long does scent-lok last? Can you recharge it? Can you machine wash it? What additional care is there?

What I am looking at getting is Scent-Lok everything. Scent-Lok pants, uninsulated coat, gloves, and head cover. The patterns are all the same, and the total is right at $200. I can save about half just by getting rid of the head cover, gloves, and Scent-Lok. (I have head covers and gloves. Although the patterns wouldn't match, not a big deal.)

My last question is, are my selections the best? Is there something comparable in price to Silent Weave, Scent-Lok, etc. that would be better? For all of archery season (up to gun season), are my garments of choice the best? (pants, uninsulated coat, gloves, head cover)

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Here's my $.02 for what it's worth. I think for the money the Silent Weave uninsulated gear makes a great basic set of bowhunting clothing. You can wear it in warm weather and layer under it as it gets cooler. Over time you can add to and/or upgrade your wardrobe with rain gear, fleece, etc. ScentLoc is a subject that will get you answers all over the board. My feeling is that if you want to use it ScentLoc base layers make the most sense. You can have one set that you can wear under any outer wear. That is what I do (I do also have a head cover). Does it work? I can't say for sure. I'm careful about my scent anyway but I figure it can't hurt. Watching your stand position and a good pair of rubber boots are the surest way to remain undetected. So, back to your question. If money is a concern I'd spend the $100 on the regular SW camo to start. I'd then look for some good rubber boots. Down the road I'd add some light, quiet rain gear. Then I might consider SL base layers. Then....well, you get the idea, it never ends:lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 2 cents. I have Scent Lok and I do believe in it. But it is like everything else if you dont proerly store after and before the hunt and recharge every so often it defates the purpose. The Scent Lok is only one piece of the scent control puzzle.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I used to be a huge SL supporter. I still am a bit though.

For some reason, if I have deer downwind, I'm busted no matter what. A buddy of mine didn't really have any problems getting busted, got scent lok, and now doesn't get busted at all.

I was fanatic about scent control and did everything to a T. Just can't figure it out. On the other hand, I always have girls hanging off of me, so maybe I disperse a ton of pheromones or something. Whatever it is, SL doesn't do too good of a job of containing it.

I do still use it though, it may be helping me in some regards.

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
If you have a few days/weeks to kill, do a search on here of ScentLok and others and you'll be reading for a while. Few guys are middle of the road on the issue - they either swear by it, or claim it to be useless and a scam.

I have it, have used it for several years, and cannot honestly say that it works. The "science" on carbon-based clothing would suggest that it can't work.

I will say that I find it interesting that none of the manufacturers of the clothing have funded any studies that would validate its effectiveness, and your answer may be there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never really used it. All of our hunting clothes are kept in a cedar closet, then we place them outside in the wind at all times when we arent using them during the season.

I personally have never concerned myself with scent control too much. However during those time I wasnt going to be bow hunting as much as I am this year. I figure the points of highest scent would be hair, hands and feet. Those places would make sense to release scent. The rest of the body should be concealed pretty well by regular gear.

At this point, for the sake of money and peace of mind (not knowing if it really works because it cant be 100% proven) I think I'm leaning towards non Scent-Lok pants and coat, but scent-lok gloves and headcover and boots.

As stated above I completely agree about baselayers being scentlok or other forms. That direction did cross my mind.

I'll let this run before I make any more decisions and I'll do some searching and see what comes up. Hopefully the thread gets more action so I dont have to search so much though!

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking about all of this, for all of archery season and gun season, should I get insulated or uninsulated rubber boots? Lookin at 400gram max.

Uninsulated and wear more layers of socks?

For early archery I wouldnt need a lot of socks so should I order a size larger anyway?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts