Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did they do the Clinton river restoration project that everyone voted on?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
777 Posts
From what I have heard the project should begin this August. Now that I am not employed at the watershed council anymore I am slightly out of the loop on things. I do have to call there tomorrow about a TU project so I'll try to get some information on the project for everyone.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just spoke with the watershed council. Here is what they have now...

They have completed the design for the project. HRC (the same firm that did the Rochester Rd project on Paint Creek and the dam removal on Paint Creek) is doing the project at Yates.

They have received the permit from the DEQ and are now working with the erosion control permits with Oakland County.

Work on the project should begin in the next month or two.

There will be the need for volunteer work to complete the seeding and other plantings later this fall. They will be contacting the local TU chapters to provide these volunteers. I will be one of these contacts so I will post this here on MS so that those of you who took the time to vote can be a part of the actual project if you would like to.

As of now, this is the information I have. CRWC will be releasing a more detailed email to some of the local conservation leaders soon. Once I have that email I will share any addtional information with all of you.

Again, thank you all for your voting efforts to get this grant funding. This project will be a great improvement for Yates and the Clinton River.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are two spring fed lakes less than a 1/2 mile away from Yates... they should use that money to tap them and introduce some cold water into the river :idea:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for looking into the project.It will be nice when it is done.

·
Registered
777 Posts
There are two spring fed lakes less than a 1/2 mile away from Yates... they should use that money to tap them and introduce some cold water into the river :idea:
I agree 100% that the introduction of some cold water would be a great thing for the river. However, this will do no good what so ever until the flow regime is managed better. The flow regime is the biggest issue we currently have (aside from stormwater) that impacts the health of the river from a fishery standpoint. When you see dry gravel in May that had spawning steelhead on it in early April you know you have an issue. Once this is corrected we can start to worry about the temperature.

Just my thoughts. :cool:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks for looking into the project.It will be nice when it is done.

It would be great to see you out there with us in October doing some of the seeding! I know you spend plenty of time on the river fishing. Perhaps we will see you out there helping the volunteers with the final phase of the project? :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
It would be great to see you out there with us in October doing some of the seeding! I know you spend plenty of time on the river fishing. Perhaps we will see you out there helping the volunteers with the final phase of the project? :)
How would I go about volunteering for this? I just moved here a few months ago but I've fallen in love with this river and would love to do something to make it better. Can't wait for my first Clinton River winter for steelhead!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Once I hear of a date that volunteers are needed for this project I will post it here on MS. The work days should be some time in October. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I know more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts