Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I know this is a little bit of a loaded post, but I do have quite a few things to figure out about this river. I just moved to Harrison Township. My house is right on the Clinton river (near South River and Bridgeview St.) I’ll be getting a boat this winter, but for now I need to figure this river out and how to fish it. I grew up in Shelby Township but rarely ever fished the Clinton. I’m wondering about a couple things:
  • I know about the occasional fish you can catch in there, but does it mainly just house pan fish and the garbage pickers or do Bass, Walleye, Pike, or even Musky hang out in there permanently?
  • What is the best bait/lures, rigs, and techniques to use in fall and spring? The floating weeds can really hinder certain lures, like the cranks and body baits but I doubt there’s any way around that. I do have a 1 HP de-icer to push them out, but I know there‘s no way around them.
  • At night, and even sometimes during the day I can hear large fish coming to the surface. Any idea what they are, and are they feeding or doing something else? If they are feeding, what are they feeding on?
  • Most times I just fish for the sport of it and catch and release, but are the Perch and other (good eating) fish safe to eat from where I’d be pulling them out of? I know the river has gotten a lot cleaner, but I still don’t know if I trust it?

I think that covers majority of my questions lol. Like I said, I know it’s a loaded post, but any kind of tips and pointers you guys give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
That spot of the river is good for bass and pike, and perch when it's frozen. Personally, I'd concentrate my efforts much further upstream this time of year. There's steelhead to be had in the area you used to live ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can forget the muskies but bass Pike gills crappie walleye steelhead are all found at different times of the year in that river. A perch walleye and steelhead out of the river but everybody's got their own opinion on that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.