Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I haven't fished Yates but another part of the river, I've seen some big males jumping by logs and I saw one guy hook up yesterday with one but he thought he was bass fishing and didn't want to play the fish out :lol: I think you know how that ended. - Bryon

·
Registered
91 Posts
been fishing there alot up by the dam and down river the steel head are starting to move back out
fished by the dam 2 days ago caught about 40 suckers and a 26 in pike
seen a guy catch one right by the dam but most of the fish are starting to move out

·
Registered
53 Posts
no school tommorrow so im going to hit up yates. ive never even caught steel but hopefully tommorrow will be the first of many. my buddies got some cured spawn is his fridge wish me luck, ill need it.

kgibby

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I don't think theyr'e slowing, I hooked one today and saw a few others in the water, note I wasn't fishing Yates but a secret spot. - Bryon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive been dying to go at least once. It sucks because ive been so busy. I will even be happy just to get outside and relax. Everytime I drive by the parking lot is full. I was thinking of going later today, but I can only imagine how busy its going to be since it's friday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i didnt get lucky this morning only a couple of suckers, no steel hopefully it picks back up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My buddy stopped for a walk at lunch on thursday and saw 4 pods of 3-5 fish on gravel. Got me all excited rushed home got my gear and hit the river to see no fish just emtpy reds. Fished the holes near the reds and wet 0-1. The planters are in and bite everthing and most people I talked to were actually fishing for them. If you care please use barbless hooks, those planters are our future fish and they have a hard enough time going out to see and back

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
My buddy stopped for a walk at lunch on thursday and saw 4 pods of 3-5 fish on gravel. Got me all excited rushed home got my gear and hit the river to see no fish just emtpy reds. Fished the holes near the reds and wet 0-1. The planters are in and bite everthing and most people I talked to were actually fishing for them. If you care please use barbless hooks, those planters are our future fish and they have a hard enough time going out to see and back
Planters? As in trout?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
April 9th there were 26,800 one year old steelies planted down on ryan somewhere. Can not say where cause I do not need the grief for it. LOL
:lol: I know where!:16suspect

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ive been trout fishng the clinton recently and most of my fish haven't bee plants. I see nothing wrong with trout fishing/QUOTE]
Unless you are fishing pain creek illegally or by plants you mean vegetation then you are catching yearling steelhead just planted by the dnr. The clinton does not get a mid april run of 12" rainbows, and there is no way a trout could survive in that water year round. It is not my place to tell anyone what you can and can't do, technically there is nothing illegal about catching smolts. Like I said they have a hard enough time going to the lake and back not being the target species. Me personally I would rather catch one steelhead than 50 of the little guys, but thats me.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Ive been trout fishng the clinton recently and most of my fish haven't bee plants. I see nothing wrong with trout fishing/QUOTE]
Unless you are fishing pain creek illegally or by plants you mean vegetation then you are catching yearling steelhead just planted by the dnr. The clinton does not get a mid april run of 12" rainbows, and there is no way a trout could survive in that water year round. It is not my place to tell anyone what you can and can't do, technically there is nothing illegal about catching smolts. Like I said they have a hard enough time going to the lake and back not being the target species. Me personally I would rather catch one steelhead than 50 of the little guys, but thats me.
Yes the clinton in some parts has trout year round, I know people who have caught them in June, July and August which are the hottest months in Michigan. I'm not going to tell you where I've been fishing for them but brown trout and bows over 13inches are in no way plants and no I'm not fishing Paint Creek. The average size of the plants are 7.3inches as well NOT 12inches. Those fish are fish that for the most part have been in the stream a while. If you still don't believe trout stay in parts of that river year long contact the Michigan DNR and they will answer that question for you, as for me, I know I'm not doing anything illigall by TROUT fishing and I'm also using barbless hooks. I've also caught trout and a friend of mine caught trout in the clinton THIS season BEFORE they stocked. Some of the rainbows they stock stay in the river, some move out to the lake. All steelhead are rainbow trout, not all rainbow trout are steelhead.

Just for the record, any trout fishermen worth anything can tell the difference between a plant and a "native" or "wild" Bow. In any event, I'm not going to argue this any further, as I said if you don't believe me ask the DNR, some other members on this site can probably help in letting you know if trout are living in the river year round. I have my spots I enjoy going with my Dad. - Bryon

·
Banned
378 Posts
I am not talking about the incidental catching of a planter steelhead while fishing for other species, I am talking about being there on the day they are shot out of the fish cannon and waiting downstream a little ways...

I understand many of our SE MI trout are plants, but these fish are not put in the river to spend their lives there or be caught. They are put there to grow a little while and come back in 3 years much, much larger.

I was talking about the people who might catch one or see a bunch and start dropping a worm and catching one after another. . .

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I am not talking about the incidental catching of a planter steelhead while fishing for other species, I am talking about being there on the day they are shot out of the fish cannon and waiting downstream a little ways...

I understand many of our SE MI trout are plants, but these fish are not put in the river to spend their lives there or be caught. They are put there to grow a little while and come back in 3 years much, much larger.

I was talking about the people who might catch one or see a bunch and start dropping a worm and catching one after another. . .
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, that's my fault. - Bryon

·
Banned
378 Posts
My condolences on your grandmother's passing.

Fishing, friends, and for me, running have gotten me through some of the tougher spots in my life...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts