Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
climbers have there place. I wished I had one with me tonight. I could have got back in the woods and away from the combine picking beans. As for tips. Get familiar with your stand. never climb a hickory tree or a maple tree. They say your first time in the stand has your best opportunity at a deer. With a climber, every time is the first time. Always where your safety harness. I have a retractable bow tow rope permanently attached to my stand. Keep using it and you will feel better about it.

Good post... this is very important advice with a climber.. Nothing worse than being 20ft up and your bottom platform is on a downward angle...

when you first put the climber around the tree, if the standing platform is perfectly level, chances are by the time you get up to height, the platform will be leaning down, so you could slide off if its slippery. . . start out with the platform at an angle so the front is up higher than where it meets the tree. . . then when you get to height, it will either be slightly at this same angle, or level. . .

this is due to the tree being larger at the base near the ground than 20' up. . . it takes some getting used to but once you figure out your own stand its usually easier to guess how much to offset it before you start climbing. .

I have q climber I bought at wal-mart a couple years back. In fact I'm sitting in it right now. Its a love hate thing, I use it from time to time, but its a pain every time. Soo heavy, always sweating to get it set, takes a long time, I think I need to buy a lone wolf instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.