Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first day I have ever hunted or attempted to use a climber stand. I practiced before going in the woods and all went good. I picked a tree with too hard of bark almost smooth so i was having trouble getting a good grip so switched trees. PLUS i forgot my string so had to hold my bow while getting up the tree for the first time.:lol: more like :rant: I was positive I wouldnt see deer but had a few come in, not close enough though. Any suggestions on climbers?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
make sure the 2 sections are held together by a rope. . I usually use one about 6' long. . that way if the bottom drops, you arent stuck in the tree. .

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Takes a little getting used to. Hardest part for me was getting the angle right at the base of the tree since the tree diameter gets smaller as you climb higher. Last thing you want is to not have a level rest to sit and stand on when you're up there. If anything I try to make it so that I'm leaning slightly back towards the tree once I'm in place. Climbers are kind of a pain, but you have such an advantage since your much more mobile.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
make sure the 2 sections are held together by a rope. . I usually use one about 6' long. . that way if the bottom drops, you arent stuck in the tree. .
Haha I DID do that right. I was sweating so much once I got up in the tree from struggling/being nervous:lol:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by not have a level rest

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
What do you mean by not have a level rest
when you first put the climber around the tree, if the standing platform is perfectly level, chances are by the time you get up to height, the platform will be leaning down, so you could slide off if its slippery. . . start out with the platform at an angle so the front is up higher than where it meets the tree. . . then when you get to height, it will either be slightly at this same angle, or level. . .

this is due to the tree being larger at the base near the ground than 20' up. . . it takes some getting used to but once you figure out your own stand its usually easier to guess how much to offset it before you start climbing. .

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Climbing stands are great. I've been using one for for about 15 years and have excellent results with them. Being able to move around is a nice feature. After you get used to it you'll zip right up and down trees.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when you first put the climber around the tree, if the standing platform is perfectly level, chances are by the time you get up to height, the platform will be leaning down, so you could slide off if its slippery. . . start out with the platform at an angle so the front is up higher than where it meets the tree. . . then when you get to height, it will either be slightly at this same angle, or level. . .

this is due to the tree being larger at the base near the ground than 20' up. . . it takes some getting used to but once you figure out your own stand its usually easier to guess how much to offset it before you start climbing. .
So how do I adjust it?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
So how do I adjust it?
depending on what type of climber it is, most that are cable can be adjusted by lengthening or shortening the cable. . . i.e hook it up to a tree. I hold the base with my knee the angle I want it then tighten the cable up until it holds that angle. . then when you get to the height, it should level off or may be a little angles still because the tree diameter is smaller.

the cables usually have bulbs or notches on them for different lengths. . .

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. I appreciate it. I didn't have my safety harness because it was in my other stand (stupid decision to hunt it without one) which is why I won't be hunting out of the climber until tomorrow afternoon's hunt. Thanks man.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
ahh gotcha, not a problem. . I wouldnt go without a harness. . I was hunting a climber a few weeks ago and luckily had the harness on. . the base of the climber fell with me standing on it. . luckily I had the safety rope tied off, and my harness. I dropped with the base of the stand until it hit the end of the safety rope. if that had not been there, or I wasnt wearing a harness. . . I probably would have went all the way down. . (it was raining). . Especially just getting used to one like you are, Its always a little more interesting climbing a tree:):)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today was the first day I have ever hunted or attempted to use a climber stand. I practiced before going in the woods and all went good. I picked a tree with too hard of bark almost smooth so i was having trouble getting a good grip so switched trees. PLUS i forgot my string so had to hold my bow while getting up the tree for the first time.:lol: more like :rant: I was positive I wouldnt see deer but had a few come in, not close enough though. Any suggestions on climbers?
It all depends on type of climber--some are easier and more efficient than others.

The best thing you can do is get familiar with your climber and know how to use it best-- the right trees, securing it in, climbing, etc.

Tip---If you find a good hunting spot where you plan on hunting for a while, you can always just secure your climber in the tree, leave it, and use pegs or a latter to get in and out.

And if you want to use a tree that you can't climb because branches, you can just use a latter and strap it in

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
i bungee my cables too the tree when i get up
also, shorten the drop rope with a loop knot, from 5ft to 3ft when at desired hieght
also, i prefer the front of the platform to angle slightly down as opposed to back toward the tree, i sit long hours, and my feet need to be level not on my tiptoes,
..good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have hunted out of them for about 6 years now. If I can I love to find a double or triple tree to climb. As I climb I slide the stand around in between the main branches to give me cover as there are no limbs below me. Just a little something I look for.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Here some tips that have made it easier for me. Took quite a few trips before I started to really like my climber but maybe these things that I learned will help someone else. I use a Lone Wolf hand climber.

1. Use a safety harness that attaches to the tree with a rope, prussic knot, and carbainger. That setup came with my Lone Wolf. Makes it really easy to strap in while climbing.

2. Use a lightweight headlight. I like to use mine on the low, red LED setting. Mostly needed for getting all the straps and cables connected before climbing in the morning.

3. Use some kind of hook to hang your bow on the tree.

4. Use a fanny pack or back pack that can be strapped to the stand while backpacking in to the site. I sometimes strap heavier clothes to the stand while walking too.

5. Use some kind of markers to get to the tree in the dark. Really if you can't find the tree in the morning. Not just any tree will do and I always prep shooting lanes ahead of time.

6. Beware of you outline. Really nice to get some kind of cover behind where the stand is going to be. Hard to do much about this sometimes and if I can't avoid it I just go a little higher and hope for the best.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I installed two saddle bags on my viper. In these bags i always have a hoist rope, tree hooks, and whatever else you want to have on you in the climber. I love the climber, just can't stop adding accessories though. It is starting to get heavier, but tons of fun anyway.

·
Registered
694 Posts

or you can get one of these......

https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php

click on the Equalizer video

once locked in....it is more solid than any other climber / hang on out there

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
A trick I use, is to put a reflective tack at eye level, so you know when you are at the right height in the morning. Once you get some experience with a climber, its hard to imagine being without one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts