Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There probably have been many posts on this subject, but I am a big guy about 300 lbs. I need to know about the climbers if they will do the job of supporting me or will I be able to climb myself up a tree. I am 62 year old and consider myself in adequate health. I have never used a climber before. I have always built my own stands out of 2x4 and 2x2 rungs 12-16 feet high and fastened them to the trees. It gets old after a while draging these ladder stand around the country. Right now you can have one if you want to carry it out on state land in Baldwin. I have sat in some of the stands that are square tube stands 16' and they seem really solid. "Rivers Edge" on the label. I need some feed back on this topic if you could. Thumper :help:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I own a climber, ladder, and many hang on stands. I feel safest in my ladder, and climber, heck I fall asleep in both.
see if you can borrow a friends climber and try it out, I think they are stong enough for a 300 lb person with out problems.
some of the new hang on stands are real nice, large platforms and nice seats.
I recomend going to Jay's or cabelas where you can get your hands on them and take a good look.
this time of year you can get a good price on em too..

good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I'm 54, and use a Summit "Viper" climber. I'm only 230# though. Summit is just my preference. I feel very safe in mine as long as the safety harness is on, going up and coming down ;)
I've got a couple different ladder stands. The Loggy Bayou, Big Daddy is a really good stand because its wide enough for heavy clothes and the sections lock together.
One of my friends weighs around 320 +/- and he buys the double ladder, two man stands. He says that they don't even move under him.
Check out some of the stands on the internet. They'll give you weight limits.
Irregardless...........PLEASE USE A SAFETY HARNESS...GOING UP AND DOWN.

Our bones don't mend as easy anymore.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The best climber I own is one of the older Loggy Bayou stands. Though I don't weigh quite as much as you, I did let another fellow use the stand and he was 290+ lbs and had no problem.

Most of the better named brands probably should work for you but stay away from the "cheap" brands. Also be sure you check the seat real good. Most definitely all seats are not created equal, especially for us larger folk.

Encore says he feels safe in his Summit Viper as long as he has his safety belt on. I personally do not hook my safety belt on until I get up to the height I want to sit. I feel very safe in my Loggy Bayou.

btw, I have two Loggy Bayou climbers, two hanging stands and one ladder. As far as the ladder stand, I use it some but certainly not as much as the others. It's a pain setting it up and taking it down if you want to be in some thicker stuff but if you are in the open it is easy. I've heard that the ladder stands are the most accident prone stands there are and that the accidents happen when setting it up or taking it down. I agree, so I use a Safety Cinch when I set it up or take it down (most of the time anyway).

As wJAKE said, definitely go to a store where you can see the stands and even ask to take the stand down, set it on the floor and then sit in the seat. Is it comfortable? Will it be when you get those heavy clothes on? For how long do you think you could sit in that stand? But first and foremost, is the stand well built?

Remember, it isn't the fall that will get you. It's that sudden stop at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I bought a Shootin Star climber from Cabelas two years ago for about $180. It's rated for a person up to 350 lbs, easy to climb in, and about as comfortable as my old overstuffed recliner. On our hunting property we have a variety of permament stands made with treated lumber, commercial ladder stands, and conventional commercial tree stands with steps. My climber is by far the safest and most comfrotable of all of them IMO.

And the best part is that the deer simply don't expect you to show up 25' above them in a tree where no one has ever hunted out of before. Also, they all come with full harneww and safty strap, which is potentially worth your life.

·
Registered
311 Posts
no doubt about it buy a summit viper i have the summit viper mini because i only weigh 115 but the big one is perfect for guys up to 300 lbs and theyre comfier than a lounge chair i love it

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I own two hangons and bought an API bowhunter about 3 years ago. I'm sorry I haven't used the climber before this year. From this year on, unless I have some secure private land to hunt, the hangons are just going to collect dust. The climber makes you more mobile and you get the peace of mind, knowing that you took it out of the woods. The only time I leave it in the woods is when I'm going to right back out there in the morning. I also camoflauge it with branches and ferns, just in case anyone is out there using a flashlight to find a stand.

If you own a good chunk of land, then you can almost never have enough hangons. It's easier to hang numerous stand at key places rather than move around with one. If you have to choose between one or the other, I'd say it's a no brainer....GET the climber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts