Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to Clear Lake state park with my fiance's family and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to catch Splake/Trout on this body of water? I am thinking about taking my canoe. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am sure I will need an excuse to get away! Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a hump out in 90 fow that comes up to 45ish, I would suggest fishing around that early in the morning with small minnows and jigs. The hump is located in front of the secondary boat launch (day use area).

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a hump out in 90 fow that comes up to 45ish, I would suggest fishing around that early in the morning with small minnows and jigs. The hump is located in front of the secondary boat launch (day use area).

Good luck!
i take it this clear lake you speak of is the one in Montmorency county. now with that being said, is it a hump or is it a drop-off that goes from 90 to 45, because ive fished it numerous times and have yet to find a hump, but there are numerous steep drops that come up to 45 feet. the DNR map doesn't show a hump either. HTTP://WWW.DNR.STATE.MI.US/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/MONTMORENCY/CLEAR_LAKE.PDF
on the other hand, I have to agree with your comment about fishing jigs tipped with minnows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I would assume 1/8-1/4 ounce leadheads tipped with a perch size minnow?

·
Registered
372 Posts
i take it this clear lake you speak of is the one in Montmorency county. now with that being said, is it a hump or is it a drop-off that goes from 90 to 45, because ive fished it numerous times and have yet to find a hump, but there are numerous steep drops that come up to 45 feet. the DNR map doesn't show a hump either. HTTP://WWW.DNR.STATE.MI.US/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/MONTMORENCY/CLEAR_LAKE.PDF
on the other hand, I have to agree with your comment about fishing jigs tipped with minnows.
The area I spoke of is a hump, not a drop off. I realize the DNR map does not show it, but trust me it's there.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
There isn't any hump in that lake. I have fished there several times this summer and it appears to be a big bowl. I trust my graph. The splake were filled full with tiny minnows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts