Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Clear Lake State Park with the family over the Labor day holiday and going to bring the fishing gear. Never been there before and I undestand it is deep and mainly perch, splake, and smallmouths. Was wondering if anyone had any info on any local Walleye lakes not to far from the park. I'm not looking for anyones hot spot, just some general direction on where I can target walleye within a 20 minute drive of the park.

Thanks for any info and I'll post with my results when I get back.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hello,
You might want to check out Burt & Black Lakes just up the road a bit near Onaway if you want to try for some eyes. Also, there is good action on the Twins in Lewiston and that's about a 30 minute hike from Clear Lake. Clear Lake is best for splake and smallmouth. The perch are hard to find, and usually on the small side, but if you find them, you can catch hundreds. Good Luck and hope you post a report afterward!

Fishonjr

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fishonjr- Thanks for the info. I've also found a little lake not to far away called Ess Lake. It is supposed to be a Walleye stocking lake, so maybe we will give that a try. I've never heard of the lake before but was told that it has pretty good walleye fishing.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
you might try avery...really clear....or long lake(east of hillman) both have walleye..or back down to lewiston and give the twin lakes a go...black has been slow..and on a holiday weekend..burt n mullet will be trafficed up pretty good..but hey if you are towing the 'merrimac' or the 'monitor' you should be ok!..mebbe even otsego, but the eyes have been scarce for last 6 weeks there..best left til weather cools

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
fishonjr- Thanks for the info. I've also found a little lake not to far away called Ess Lake. It is supposed to be a Walleye stocking lake, so maybe we will give that a try. I've never heard of the lake before but was told that it has pretty good walleye fishing.
Yes! Ess lake is stocked with tons of walleye. I have fished it a few times in the past few years and have found that there are some really nice perch and bluegill in there as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I think we are going to give Clear Lake and Ess lake a try for sure and if we have some time we might try the Tomohawk floodings for some bass and pike. Looking forward to it, it's been a while since I have been able to fish multiple days. I'll be sure to report when i'm back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I fished Clear lake about 3 weeks ago and got blanked. There are a bunch of planted cover for the fish in about 18 to 10 fow that I saw a bunch of big smallies on them just was unable to catch them. I have also fished mud lake aka Tomahawk floodwater and caught a ton of pike and largemouth. Just make sure you watch out for all of the stumps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tomahawk is an excellent choice if you want to chase some nice bass. Pike seem to run fairly small, but I have landed some very nice bass there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the advice from everyone. I was up to Clear Lake over the Labor Day weekend and fished it. Caught a ton of perch. Mainly all between 7 and 9 inches but good enough for a fish fry. There were a few little ones that had to be sorted through but all were pretty decent. The bass fishing there is tough, there is no structure in the lake for them, saw a bunch of nice sized bass swimming but couldn't get any takers, they were pretty spooked. Didn't get any splake. Saw some other guys with downriggers catching splake on spoons. Fished Ess lake one morning and got one keeper Walleye and that was it, couldn't figure that lake out, and our depth finder quit on us as soon as we got started. It was hot all weekend but it was nice to be out on the water and do some fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts