Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 100 yard by 50 yard clear cut this past spring. There is a lot of regeneration but it is a tangle of trash from the logger. I am thinking about “cleaning” out some defined trails and bedding. My father however wants to leave as is and the deer like it that way? The pictures were taken yesterday from a ladder stand on the south side of the cut. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
If it was pine or another softwood, I wouldn't waste my time. That stuff will rot away in a couple years.
A trail or two would be the most I'd attempt.

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
35,264 Posts
One thing I’ve found is that deer will continue to use established trails through clear cuts. If possible open them back up while it’s still easy to access. The foresters may have blocked them during the cutting operation. Now is the time to clear ground debris for beds where you want them and block bed locations where you don’t.

South facing bare dirt under balsams that you’ve trimmed up work well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I told my logger to throw the tops everywhere so it looked like a tornado zone. He shook his head and did it. Why? The deer can’t graze it like a pasture and the regeneration was much faster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I told my logger to throw the tops everywhere so it looked like a tornado zone. He shook his head and did it. Why? The deer can’t graze it like a pasture and the regeneration was much faster.
I could not agree more! I have to cage spruce to keep them from being nipped in late winter. This was a bedding area before being cut. I just want to optimize the bedding opportunities for the future.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Cut new trails thru in places that are aventageous to your hunting. If cut, they will use them. Use what structure is left to enhance bedding where you want it, destroy it where you don’t want it. Your work will be easier to do now than if you wait (lesson learned). Clear cuts can be awesome for the deer. Any structure left behind can help protect new growth if your density is high. Moving some structure for a screen can work well, but a few things to consider: be very careful when moving the debris for any tensions on the tops as they can spring back and hurt you bad!, using forks on the tractor will work much better than a bucket, and pile it up 3-4x taller than what you think you will need because it will settle much faster than you think it will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts