Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I hate cleaning perch. They're really easy to mess up. But I leanred how to clean fish by working with gills and it's what I normally clean so it's a comfort thing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do you all cut the ribs and then cut them out of the fillet? I was taught to cut down the ribs from the top. Seems easier to cut around the ribs than cutting those little ribs out of the fillet?

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
cutting the ribs out afterwards is easy.... scottyhoover and ozzgood2001 saw my technique.... messy but SUPER quick.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
because i can cut out the ribs in two seconds and shorten the time to cut the main fillet off the base skeleton by wayyy more than that.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The difference for me is if I am using a electric....I cut through the ribs....then cut them out after...If I am using my hand fillet knife...I go around the ribs!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here is a trick to saving meat on them tasty gills. After I fillet the gills I soak them in salt water over night. I then take them out and then cut the rib bones out. Waste less meat this way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Mr. Twister electric fillet knife doesn't care if its a Gill or a walleye. It just cuts through the rib bones and then finish it by trimming off the skin.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Because of the way they are proportioned, perch are a little easier to filet than bluegills. If you look at the pictures in the link you will see very little wasted meat. Cutting through the rib bones is much faster than cutting around them and I'll compare my filets with anyones. lol

It does take a little practice but the average guy will get it right after a couple of hundred gills. After you do gills, try perch and you will find them easier to filet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Taste, a Bluegill scaled with the bones left in is some of the best eating ever. My grandfather would cringe if he knew I was filleting Gills.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Because the bluegill has a fat stomach it is a little more difficult to get the right line with your knife. The knife has to be positioned just right for you get the maximum filet from the top of the back to the bottom of the belly just missing the bottom fins. To get it right, you have to reposition the knife as you are making the cut.

A perch is more streamlined so if you start straight you don't have to manuaver the knife. It's a straight shot. Same with walleye.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I make a slight start at going around the ribs, then just peel the rest of the way by pulling - the meat generally tears away from the ribs - same thing for perch.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
SKUNK said:
Taste, a Bluegill scaled with the bones left in is some of the best eating ever. My grandfather would cringe if he knew I was filleting Gills.
Yep I used to filet them till I saved a bunch whole for my mom and we had a fish fry using whole gills and filets, major taste difference between the two. I quit filleting them.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
StumpJumper said:
Yep I used to filet them till I saved a bunch whole for my mom and we had a fish fry using whole gills and filets, major taste difference between the two. I quit filleting them.
so you just scale them, then gut them, cut the heads and fins off?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts