Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True story. Just happened. My neighbor's a cop. Took his 14 year old son on the youth hunt and got a nice 8 point. Goes back out with his dad this week and see's a fat six point from his stand and cuts loose on 'im at 40 yards with the same 12ga slugger. The dear jumps, runs, then stops. He hits him again and he runs into the swamp. Getting dark, starting to rain. They call me and I grab my light to help find him. Misery. Not a drop of blood but hard to say in the rain. We comb the swamp for two hours, scratched, cold and wet. Decide to try again in the A.M. Go home.
He calls a half hour later laughing and says "Never mind!"
Turns out he asked his son to show him which slugs he used in the 12ga and he showed him a box of #8 skeet loads! If you see a six point with a nasty rash let us know!:lol:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I don't get it.

The gun was still loaded from the early youth hunt?
The cop didn't load the gun himself and check the load?
The 14 year old was allowed to load the gun for his youth hunt without supervision and took his buck with 8's?
He let the kid load the gun for him tonite and the kid put 8's in it???

Lot's of questions left unanswered......:confused:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Beerslayer said:
He let the kid load his own gun. He put skeet loads in it instead of slugs. What's not to get???
Ok...I get it now.
Lesson learned I guess....load it yourself or at least check what's in there.
Good thing the kid didn't put in 20 ga. slugs or something unsafe.

Oh wait....editing here.....the kid was the one hunting tonite??? I thought the cop was hunting with the same gun the kid used....sorry.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Where in this story is the part about transporting a loaded gun, or that he shot the first deer with skeet loads?

I read it as the kid hunted once and shot and killed a deer, presumably with a slug. The next time he goes out, loads the gun himself, puts in the wrong load and shoots a deer with a skeet load. Nothing in the original posting that said the gun was loaded while being transported, or that the kid shot the first deer with #8s.

Not smart but not what its being made out to be either.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I can GUARANTEE, they/he were consolidating shells into boxes and somehow the slugs got mixed in the 8's or vice versa. I've done it before, not deer hunting but duck hunting, ended up with 3 slugs in my gun, not #4's. I realized it before I actually started shooting though.
Bottom line is,,, lesson learned, move on.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You guys are unbelievable learn to read before you open your mouth!! :rant: :rant:

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Tom (mich) said:
Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but could someone please explain to me what part of the story was funny?
the part that people didn't read the original post....and people started making comments/questions.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
That is funny! I once went pheasant hunting with a guy who forgot he wore his vest deer hunting. He missed every pheasant put up and was complaining about the kick of his gun till he realized he was throwing slugs at pheasants :lol:

AW

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sort of reminds me of when my brother and his son were sighting in his 30-06. They tried for about 10 shots to get the dang thing zeroed in, but the shots were going all over the place.

Come to find out the kid grabbed the box of 270 shells instead of 30-06. :lol: Since the 270 is just a necked down 30-06 load, it loaded and shot, but of course the accuracy was horrible with the bullet rattling down the barrel.

They figured it out, shot the right shells and had it sighted in quickly after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts