Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for opinions on which one is better. I’ve had Clams for over 30 years but the Otters really look nice and would value everyone’s thoughts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Are you talking hub or flip over? I like the deeper tub on the Otter flip over. Bought an Otter hub last year. A very nice well thought out and well made product. You can find many varying opinions with shanties. Don't know your location but Franks is a good place to look.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
In my opinion Otter is the best, I have both. I have a really old Clam Nanook non-insulated and has held up good. Also have the Otter Lodge, both sled models. The quality of the Otter is too-notch. Because I spear as well I bought the Clam Spearfisher toward the end of last season, only used it a couple times, so far I like it as well but the quality is not as good as the Otter.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Go to Frank's and sit in both. Look very close at the poles and the way the adjust and slide. Talk with Matt as he is VERY good at explaining the small (but important) differences. Then put your new Otter on layaway and know you made the right choice. Oh yeah, see you at shanty days when we are all picking up our stuff ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought the Clam Yukon XL thermal this year. I haven't used it on the ice yet but it is pretty awesome, side doors, light and thermal is thick. The only thing I have noticed is the windows don't open. I reached out to clam and they said all their shelters and hubs are like this? Makes no sense to me, I just modified them so they open.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts