Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Cisco???

3928 Views 27 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Lumberman
Ran into these guys completely by accident yesterday while perch fishing a western Michigan lake.

Thought they were white fish but a couple people said they were Cisco. I honestly have no idea. They seem to big to be Cisco?

Is there any difference when eating them. Think I’ll fry a few and smoke the rest.

Any suggestions on cooking them?

Food Vertebrate Seafood Wood Fish
Food Seafood Fish Dish Cuisine

Snow Glove Automotive tire Freezing Fish
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
NIIIIIICE catch. Personally I like to scale them, fillet them, lightly bread them in fry magic and then pan fry them like a stream trout. Them are a bit bigger than what I normally catch though. very nice haul ya got there. MMMMMMMMMMMMM
Look like 'scoes to me. And GIANT ONES.

FYI 16" is master angler and limit is 12.

You must have been fishing a deep lake and deep hole for perch or trout and started getting suspended marks. :)
We got some ciscos by Drummond island one spring. Fried them up that night.
You ever see hungry men fight over a can of mixed veggies?
Reactions: dinoday and Dish7
I did just what you said 357 and they were great.

Has anyone ever tried to freeze them?
I am glad you liked it that way, I know we do.

I have froze the fillets and they were fine. I let the fillet dry for a few hours in the fridge uncovered on paper towels meat up, then vaccum pack the fillets 2 per bag and flat in the foodsaver. They come out pretty much as they went in that way. The drying step is the key I think.
I did just what you said 357 and they were great.

Has anyone ever tried to freeze them?
Reactions: itchn2fish
Wow!! That’s a neat catch. Good work!!
Looks like the ones we have been catching out of portage lake. They have been plentiful out there this year along with the white perch. Got one 21" this yr already. Food White Seafood Fish Fin
they look like huge pike minnows lol
Ran into these guys completely by accident yesterday while perch fishing a western Michigan lake.

Thought they were white fish but a couple people said they were Cisco. I honestly have no idea. They seem to big to be Cisco?

Is there any difference when eating them. Think I’ll fry a few and smoke the rest.

View attachment 292314 View attachment 292315
View attachment 292317
Reactions: RLWagner
Haha. That’s exactly what happened.

They may need to reconsider the requirements for Master Angler. We had 6 of them out of the 12 we caught.

They were all full of small alewives.
Look like 'scoes to me. And GIANT ONES.

FYI 16" is master angler and limit is 12.

You must have been fishing a deep lake and deep hole for perch or trout and started getting suspended marks. :)
Yeah our average is usually 15 to 16. Never caught a 20+ though.

Them things are PIKE CANDY though.

Last big northern I speared had 3 of em in it's gullet.
Nice Catch! I target cisco in a couple inland lakes. They are fun to catch. I have never had good luck freezing them. I always eat them fresh. One of these days I am going to have them smoked when I catch a big batch.

I prefer to filet and skin mine. The big ones are great on the grill. A little butter and lemon pepper. The smaller ones I pan fry just like I would a walleye. To me the key is eating them fresh. Sitting in the fridge for several days doesn't help. Freezing and thawing turns them to mush.
Reactions: Scout 2
Me and my friend caught some one year and we thought they were monster shiners. We were throwing them back and a guy came over to me and asked if he could have them if we did not want them. I asked what he was going to do with shiners and he said eat them and they are not shiners they are cisco. Well that did it first thing I thought was smoked fish but we only caught a couple after that so we gave them to him. I fished that lake for many years after that and never caught another one
They are whitefish..good catch!

View attachment 292314 View attachment 292315
View attachment 292317
Cisco. The easiest way to tell Cisco from Whitefish is the mouth. Whitefish upper lip overhangs the lower. His close up of the head shows definite Cisco.
They are whitefish..good catch!
Darn nice ciscos, that's great to see you catching em out there. The traverse city strains are definitely growing and expanding their range. I freeze them the day I catch em but only vac sealed. If you freeze with or w/o water, might as well throw away. They are definitely best fresh. Over the years, we caught literally hundreds and hundreds over 16" and have never submitted one for Master Angler because it doesn't feel like a challenge or accomplishment. However, some lakes and i believe lake superior don't produce very big or as large of cisco, so to catch a 16" out of one of those would probably be special
Here's an interesting article on cisco in the area. It seems the ones up in Little Traverse Bay eat more bait fish and also grow larger. http://www.record-eagle.com/news/lo...cle_47f54e59-a7e1-5dc8-a1d1-56d4be3ee96a.html
No show PM sent
Looks like the ones we have been catching out of portage lake. They have been plentiful out there this year along with the white perch. Got one 21" this yr already. View attachment 292418
They are building up in the East and West arm. Use to catch one here and there. Now it seems like every trip. And I agree with the Master Angler being a bit off now. It's nice to get one for the kids though.
Darn nice ciscos, that's great to see you catching em out there. The traverse city strains are definitely growing and expanding their range. I freeze them the day I catch em but only vac sealed. If you freeze with or w/o water, might as well throw away. They are definitely best fresh. Over the years, we caught literally hundreds and hundreds over 16" and have never submitted one for Master Angler because it doesn't feel like a challenge or accomplishment. However, some lakes and i believe lake superior don't produce very big or as large of cisco, so to catch a 16" out of one of those would probably be special
Good looking fish! Lake Michigan fish are definitely much larger than inland lakes. 19-23 inches is common. Inland lakes different story. A few lakes I fish rarely have fish over 16. Ciscos and Whitefish are my favorite fish to target.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.