Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for thoughts on it....I tied up a few with 3/0 hooks from Eagle Claw, been thinking about it for a while....don't know if it'll work for hook ups but pretty sure it will help with hook snags here on the river, lol....where we're in a lot of contact with the bottom....

I don't recall ever hearing about it and figured what the hey....gonna try it as soon as we get back on the water....I'm kinda hoping the fish will hook up at a good ratio as that would be sweet....because I'm pretty confident the hook snags will go down if not stop entirely, lol....will see....

ps....man has the water level and temp dropped !!....cheers....
Body jewelry Natural material Twig Feather Hook

·
Registered
533 Posts
I’ve caught some pretty big walleye and perch on small circle hooks on crawler harnesses. There are times where I’ve noticed that they don’t work super well but for the most part I don’t have any issues

Reactions: 50incher

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
With the slow speeds your are pulling harnesses you really want an octopus hook. #2 size is what I use on Erie. If I'm running bouncers I use that hook front and back. If they are rigs I'm running up in the column I may use a treble as the back hook. You could try a circle hook but I don't see any advantage.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all....my main hope was/is to reduce hook snags, I have a sproat hook I love that bends out of 99% of snags and I'm always resharpening....couple spots are bad for both hook and sinker snags....was also thinking with the bigger size, that just maybe, walleye might hit & turn and do a little hooking up on their own, lol.... probably won't be doing much more harness fishing this year though will see....

Too, I always run a 3" twister up the hook shank and have been only tipping it with 1/2 crawler for a couple years and zero complaints on the # of fish hitting that....

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn ! and OK....

·
48,973 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not used circle hooks for walleye.

I would theorize it is a negative for hook up rate. In part because of how walleye strike these rigs.

However... if you're snagging a lot less, you will fish more, and any negative of hook design for hook ups may be a wash.

Worth a try to see if it even does anything at all for snags.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disclaimer: I have not used circle hooks for walleye.

I would theorize it is a negative for hook up rate. In part because of how walleye strike these rigs.

However... if you're snagging a lot less, you will fish more, and any negative of hook design for hook ups may be a wash.

Worth a try to see if it even does anything at all for snags.
Yeah, I can't see it not helping with snags, but the rest was just a big ??....it was just an idea of mine, and have never seen anything on it....

Trust me when I say....I have had a lot of hair brained ideas before !!....and actually, some have been pretty damn good, some pretty damn funny too, lol....

I'll find out in the end....cheers....

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
I hated getting them pull backs and nobody's home. It seems the slower u go the more often that happens .around six years ago started playing around with the circle hooks started off with one side of the boat regular and one side circle hooks after a few trips switched everything over at first I was skeptical also butt that's all I use now .don't lose as many at the boat either only down fall is the hook can be a pain to get outta the fish .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts