Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the "offshore planers" for quite some time, but I fished with a buddy last summer who used the church walleye boards for salmon. I liked the boards better then mine, and thought they'd be great for spring fishing, as well as for walleye which will be my chief target. Unlike my offshore boards which stay on the line, until unhooked, these church boards are designed to have the front clip release, yet the pin in the back holds them on the line? correct? How do you keep the board from not getting all the way back to the lure? Do you instal a stop of some sort? I know we used the planers for salmon, just can't remember what he did so the boards didn't run all the way back to the fish on the release?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Here is the link to the offshore site.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/boards.htm

By default, the yellow boards stay put, but they can be modified to slide down the line also.

Off shore sells a "Speed Bead" to stop the board from sliding all the way down to the lure.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I use Church Boards. On my mainline, I have a 8mm bead before the swivel, then tie on a 3-4 leader. Fish hits, board slides down to the bead, stays away from fish.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I use Church's walleye boards for my lead cores during salmon fishing, high lines for salmon fishing and for my early brown trout fishing. I do not want my boards to slip at all so I wrap the line around the release once before clipping them and I have never had a problem. They do make a release that is tight enough that you don't need to wrap them, but I already own the ones I have and don't like to buy the same stuff twice. Wrapping works great for me.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the yellow offshore boards, and they are designed to stay on the line for walleye. Salmon bum, I tried that on my yellow offshores for walleye, I set the front clips tension light, and installed a swivel on the back, then ran a bead in front of the lure about 3 ft. It would've worked fine, but the tension necessary to pop the boards for walleye was so light that it also popped them on waves. Salmon and trout hit much harder so I don't foresee waves being a problem with the church boards. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Learned this from Far Beyond Driven...use a standard Offshore board, replace the back release with a Offshore snap weight release. The snap weight release has a pin in the middle, you put the line behind that and when a fish takes your lure you can have the line come off the front release but the snap weight release will hold in place. The board will then flip over and you can fight the fish without having to fight the board. Found this to be A LOT easier than having to fight an 18 lb. King with a Churches board...where you end up fighting both the fish and the board and even on 5 colors it got old really fast...

Chad

·
Registered
773 Posts
With the Yellow off shore boards, the rear clip has two holes. One hole is for the large slip ring that connects to the board. The other hole has a brass insert. By feeding your line thru the brass insert hole, the tieing to a swivel as Salmonbum pointed out you can have your boards slide down the line like the church boards.

I prefer the Church boards myself. By wrapping the line twice around the front clip the board will not release in heavy waves. In addition, when a fish hits once you reel in up to the board, then you can fully remove the board for a better fight.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Either brand can be made to release or stay put. A lot of guys (me included) run Church's and crank the release down tight (so they do not release). I also bought some used OffShores (for walleyes) that were set up to release ... that I converted back.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm noticing a lot of you prefer the boards to stay on the line, as opposed to popping and sliding down the line to a swivel? I guess I could understand if you wanted them to stay on from a constant tension stand point, from when the fish is hooked, I just always hated fighting a planer board, and a walleye off my offshores, but with the walleyes failure to pop a board, I wasn't really left with much choice.

·
Registered
642 Posts
FWIW, I like the church boards for salmon, but we were dragging some walleyes around behind the church boards for Lord knows how long. Sometimes, it's hard to detect when a small walleye is on and impossible to know if a white bass is on.

Off shore seem a little easier to read with small weak fish.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
J - Rod said:
FWIW, I like the church boards for salmon, but we were dragging some walleyes around behind the church boards for Lord knows how long. Sometimes, it's hard to detect when a small walleye is on and impossible to know if a white bass is on.

Off shore seem a little easier to read with small weak fish.
Agree J-Rod, I should have also said that I rigged up indicator flags on the OffShores ... just for the reason you indicated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I like the offshore for gators myself. I fish them so the board stays on and you release the board. to each his own. I like and use the Church board for Salmon while running leadcore, over the offshore. On the Huron side you won't have to worry alot about the board hitting too many salmon:evil:

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
i know some people use rubber bands to stop the board from sliding down but it will still release. can anyone explain how to rig them to use like that? i'd like them to release without sliding down.

·
Registered
165 Posts
limige

Wrap the rubber band around the line behind the board like some people do for downriggers.(cinch rubberband to the line) Then Put the rubberband (the loop end) and the line in the slot behind the peg. then clip your line in the release quite simple and very slick. Used this method while working on a charterboat one summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts