Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish both for steelies and salmon but I was just wondering what you guys do??? I like using fly tackle because it allows me to use a reel loaded with backing and lets me roll cast without reeling in my line and re - cast as with a spinning reel you must reel the line back in and make a cast! I also like running line, you can convert to techniques like indicator nymphing! It is also helpful when you want to change spools quickly! I use slinky's, pencil lead, and splitshot to get deep! So what do you guys think about c and d! Spin or Fly!

------------------
Tightlines!

-Dan"steelie"Man

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Dan,

I have just converted to Floating running line. 8feet mono 10lb barel swivel with a few split shot and 2-3 feet 6lb. I can't wait to try.

Before, I used Amnesia 12 feet mono barrel swivel splitshot and leader.

I think the running line will help with visibility and casting. We'll see!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have always used spinning tackle for fishing for steel and salmon.. I fished for a long time with a guy that used a flyrod and did c&d method very successfully.
I dont think one is better than the other.. just what fits your style and preference.

I would like to get a fly rod rig 8 wt fly rod rig together, maybe next winter.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Well I like c&d because i can cast to a certain spot in the river everytime because i have a set amount of line out, with spin it is a bit harder to do. the floating running line is also alot more sensitive to strikes then the monofilament on my spinning reel. the other benefit is my rod is a bit faster in the action because of the lightweight guides on my flyrod. spin does have it's advantages to though. for one i can pick up line alot faster and it is easier to use in the winter. line is also cheaper. as for floating running line over amnesia, i would definitely go with floating running line. amnesia needs to be stretched, and it can cut your hands and your guides. i have also seen it get tangled in a flyreel before and a guy lost a real nice fish.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
what is floating running line. i know that there is floating line for fly fishing, but i am not sure if you are talking about fly fishing or spinning.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Floating running line, also called shooting line, is just a basic flyline, but it has no taper and it has a constant diameter throught its length. Most guys use it for c&d with their flyrod, though i think it can also be used with interchangable shooting heads if i am correct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use both fly and spin for steelies/salmon. I prefer flys because with the chuck and duck method I can fish circles around my spin fishing friends (speed wise). Not having to take in all that line and recast is a nice thing. The only problem with C + D method is when they are really slammin fresh spawn!! I hate it when that happens!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts