Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of your techniques for using spoons (Jacks, Kens, Gusters, etc...). I've used varying techniques with only moderate results. Just wondered if there was some special jigging technique you guys use that makes these spoon work there magic on the perch. Thanks in advance to any replies.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Joe,I have not used live bait for perch in a couple years,stick too using spoons and you will gain confidence in them. As far as jigging motion is concerned that changes with the fishes attitude,start with three to four one inch lift and drops,then let it rest for five to ten seconds.You must pay close attention to your rod tip because most takes are very light,I would suggest using stren hi-vis yellow line,by watching the line you will be able to detect lite bighters. Play with different sizes,stick with chrome on bright days,brass/copper on cloudy days,florecents in stained/dirty water.Jigging cadence will change on a day to day basis

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
In my personal experience with the "spoons", I've RARELY had a big one, take a spoon with a bead. I get TONS of little ones, to the point where you CAN"T keep it away from them. I almost always tip them with live bait, I'll start with the bead, then go wiggler, minnow and spike, until I figure out what they want.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Andy Capp, nice jigs. I like the Indian Blanket ones in the upper left. :D I am going to fish the "Crappy Hole" today. Did not get out yesterday (tuesday). Will let ya know how I do. tightlinesyall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts