Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, for some reason, I switched to all mod chokes for late season grouse. My thinking was spookier birds=longer shots. (Normally I shoot improved all year long with pretty good success, or go to improved in one barrel and mod in the other. Well, I haven't been able to hit a bull in the a## with a base fiddle lately. I'm just curious if anyone else adjusts chokes as the season draws to a close and, if so, what do you switch to?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I find the more open you can go the better. In the early season I shoot cylinder, skeet 1 with a spreader in the first barrel and in the late season I usually shoot skeet 1, improved cylinder.
Ric

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Early season I shoot:

B1- Cylinder / #8 1 1/8oz Spred-R
B2- IC / #8 1 1/8oz Fiocchi White Rhino #8

Now:
B1 - SKT 1 / 1 1/8oz #7.5
B2 - SKT 2 / 1 1/8oz #6 or #7.5 (Depending on the cover)

I think we are all insane and take this a tad bit too scientifically.:lol:

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Its funny because I have gone more open...sort of.

I shoot a 28 ga. usually, choked skeet and mod for most of the season.
I got a new phez cannon (12 ga.) this year but it was too long for me. I had a shorter recoil pad on order for three months before my trip out west. It came in the day I was on my way back from Kansas :yikes: .
So.....I have been anxious to shoot it now that it fits me. I've been shooting cylinder in it, I have pointing dogs and the birds are still coming up inside twenty yards just like they do in September and October.
A cylinder 12 gauge is a real slump buster. :D

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
2ESRGR8 said:
A cylinder 12 gauge is a real slump buster. :D
It's almost like cheating, and then I go and throw a Spred-R in there too. It works great early when the cover is still heavy.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Depends, you need to pattern to find out what works best.

It may have more to do with confidence than anything.

Fritz
I prefer to rely on luck in all the shooting I do. It has been working quite well this year.
Jr

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Worm Dunker said:
I though I read Spreader loads didn't work well in open chokes.
I didn't get that memo. It seemed to work fine for me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I read that too WD. I patterned Sped-R's in my 16 and they patterned fine. I shoot them in the early season and switch to Win's 1 oz of #8's once the leaves are down. Shoot through ic/ mod chokes. It works for me.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I am nearly out of spreader loads and went out to a few sporting goods stores and none of them had any. Any one know what chains are carrying them. I like the Fiocchi Spreaders. GM, Dunhams and an independent didn't have any.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Tecumseh said:
I am nearly out of spreader loads and went out to a few sporting goods stores and none of them had any. Any one know what chains are carrying them. I like the Fiocchi Spreaders. GM, Dunhams and an independent didn't have any.
Tec,

I quit using spreaders pretty early in October, for WC I guess they would be fine. I dont know of any major box store that carry's them? Are you still using them in December?

Fritz

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've never seen a chain store that stocked any type of speader loads. I buy mine from Feildsport or LCS. Polywads.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I just looked, I shot 29 Spreaders this year. The first box that I shot were the Polywads, and I have an almost full box of Fiocchis left. I'll continue to shoot them. I quit shooting them in mid-October....I only run them in the first barrel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fieldsport seems to always have Spreader loads. I just bought some there a few days ago and there are plenty in stock. It's the only option for me right now shooting an old, old Parker that has a pattern the size of a baseball at 30 yards...ok it's not that bad but still. Hopefully Santa has his elves working on a new Verona for me ;) .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts