Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a new Winchester SX3 12ga 3" with 28" barel for a good deal. It's shipping to the store so I don't have it in my hands yet. I was wondering which choke you would recommend for this shotgun? Looking for answers from folks who have shot the same gun. I will be doing some testing with different ones, once I get my hands on it. But just curious what you guys think. It will only be used for waterfowl.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I use a pattern master code black (goose ) in mine and does me well. Have to put it on paper and see how it works with yours.
Never had a issue with any pattern master i had, just my preference. .

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use LM pretty much all season, Carlson's and Briley have never disappointed, not a fan of spending the $$$ for marketing hype. My opinion - toss in a choke you trust for the type of hunt and then leave them alone.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pattern it yourself and figure it out, every gun is different. Where one choke works for one may not work for another. Paper tells the truth.
Every. Gun. Is. Different.
Yep. I understand and like I said I will be patterning it on my own. But I don't have the gun with me yet. I am just looking for a starting point and thought it would be a good conversation topic on here.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a pattern master code black (goose ) in mine and does me well. Have to put it on paper and see how it works with yours.
Never had a issue with any pattern master i had, just my preference. .
I shoot the same gun but 3.5". never taken out the factory modified
Pattern aster mid range. Killed geese 60 yards.
I use LM pretty much all season, Carlson's and Briley have never disappointed, not a fan of spending the $$$ for marketing hype. My opinion - toss in a choke you trust for the type of hunt and then leave them alone.
sounds good thanks for the replies! Just looking for a starting point. From another forum I see that a lot of people stick with the factory chokes.

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
Less than 35 yards factory IC.

Farther than that, factory M.

If I'm feeling particularly angry, factory IM. But that blows out some patterns.

I hunt with people who shoot designer shells, some who shoot aftermarkeg chokes, and some who shoot designer loads through $100 chokes. I've never felt undergunned with steel and factory M, be it 20 or 12.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I recently picked up a new Winchester SX3 12ga 3" with 28" barel for a good deal. It's shipping to the store so I don't have it in my hands yet. I was wondering which choke you would recommend for this shotgun? Looking for answers from folks who have shot the same gun. I will be doing some testing with different ones, once I get my hands on it. But just curious what you guys think. It will only be used for waterfowl.
Ran my SX3 for 3 years. Cycles any load and is tough!! I have used as a paddle, pushpole and walking stick in thigh deep muck. Never had it not go bang or not cycle a shell to this day. I bought the Carlson cremator two pack with mid range and long range. Use my mid range for everything with blindsides. Patterns really well out to 50+yds and seems to hit birds hard. Have very few cripples.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Carlsons mod is the best patterning choke I've found. I've tried several others with a variety of shot size,velocity and ranges.
Carlsons "mid range" waterfowl handles #4's-BBB's producing dense consistant patterns to 60yards.
That said I used a factory ic for woodies this weekend #4's and consistently killed birds at a variety of ranges. Even managed a pass shot on a goose. So don't overlook open chokes for steel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts