Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not put much energy into turkey hunting since I first started about 5 years ago. Never even came close to a bird and usually just end up with a wet butt from sitting on the ground.

To those more familiar with this subject matter, is there much of an advantage (if any) to hunt turkeys from an elevated platform; obviously with a bow or crossbow (which I have permit for)? Might be fun. Plus, no more wet butt. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
One disadvantage to being elevated would be the birds chances of picking you off and always staying out of range. My trees are bare or just blooming, I don't have any leaves yet. Being in a tree you would be quite easy to spot, imo.

A decent turkey vest offers a lot of storage and carrying ability and a nice seat cushion that folds down. My vest has a waterproof bottom, so no more damp bum. A good turkey vest is in the $50 - $80 dollar range and it may not be too attractive to a casual turkey hunter because of price. Maybe you could improvise something to give you a waterproof barrier between you and the ground? Something like an old rubber door mat with a hotseat on top? Another option would be a tent style blind with a collapsable stool or seat? If you don't have these maybe a hunting pal does?

I personally feel being elevated for turkey hunting is a huge liability and very difficult to fool their eyes.

·
Premium Member
30,792 Posts
Sib said:
I personally feel being elevated for turkey hunting is a huge liability and very difficult to fool their eyes.
I agree. A turkey's number one area of concern for predation when they're young is from the air so they're always weary of "blobs" in trees.

Big T

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QDMAMAN said:
I agree. A turkey's number one area of concern for predation when they're young is from the air so they're always weary of "blobs" in trees.Big T
You call'n me a "blob?" I resemble that remark! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts