Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
There isn't really any inland lakes in the area. The river can be good but it's hard to figure out if you don't know the area. The closest spot I fish is Munuscong, might try Brimely this year though...but the next closet spot is around a 45 min drive. Get a EUP lake map book.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you can try monocle lake but i wouldnt go on the ice out there for a few more weeks due to the fact that the lake is spring fed. brevort lake down by st. ignace can be a good one also. most of the ice fishing i do is on munuscong bay. good perch, pike, and walleye fishing out there. if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I woke up early this morning, got everything ready for a quick trip to ashmun bay for a good afternooon on the ice and 10 feet off the shore, first hit with the spud, sloosh. Definately not enough ice on the river yet!! Couple weeks before the bays are gonna freeze. Carefull!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
We were thinking about hitting Monocle this year. Why would we not want to waste our time on it? I would say not to waste your time on munuscong bay. We fished all over that thing last year and could not find any water deeper than two feet, the ice was thicker than the water was deep. We went way out to the last shantys we could see and a little farther and still only found 2ft of water.

Whats up with this brevort lake? Any fish in there. Is there any bluegills in the EUP?

Thanks
Undertow

·
Registered
476 Posts
Monocle gets a lot of slush and snow, and the fishing isn't very good. They catch walleyes and jumbos in Munuscong in 2 FOW all winter. How hard did you fish it?

Manistiques are good too if you don't mind traveling a bit.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
When I was at LSSU we spent most of our time in cedarville/hessel chasing the perch because we didn't have snowmobiles or atv's. We also fished west of Ashmun Bay for whities. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I was in the Soo for 6 months last year working and fished Caribou Lake just north of Detour Village a few times in the spring and summer. Always had luck there with walleye and pike while trolling. Has any one ever ice fished it? I'm thinking of going back this winter for a trip just wondering how the fishing is through the ice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well monocle lake is a good spot for winter walleyes if you know the lake. You wont catch any big ones but you can get alot of 18-22 inchers.If you would like more info you can p.m me

Don't waste your time at Monocle. The other places suggested are worth the extra travel time.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
How far out do you have to walk on Munuscong to get to where the fish would be? I have heard it is very long walk.

Redneckman

·
Registered
147 Posts
it depends on what part of munoscong you are going to fish. if you go off of dans resort then yes it can be a long walk. if you go off of barbue it isnt quite as far of a walk.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you go off barbeau becareful you dont woal out to far. There is still freighters running down the river. You dont need to go out to the deep water. The fish are in the 2 foot of water. The key is to be in the right spot at dark. The right spot cann be anywhere, just depends on where the schools are traveling through.

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
Going to college up here in the Soo. Anyone ever icefish the area? any help would be great. thanks!
Never ice fished up there, only salmon in fall, but have heard from a someone who lives there we see every year that lake george on eastside of sugar island is good for pike and perch, also I'd try wiaska bay in Brimley. I've been told there's some big jumbo perch out there. I'll send you a pm about a small lake to try for walleye that my brother did real good on in fall on way home from soo one time. May be good through ice.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
When I went to LSSU, we'd drive down to Caribou Lake for pike.

Raber bay has some deeper water than Munuscong, but I don't know about it's ice conditions, never ice fished it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm new to ice fishing and the area too here at LSSU. But i do have the EUP book. give me a shout and we can get together with my buddy and try some places out. Were gonna try either a shallow lake i know or Munuscong this weekend

1 - 20 of 20 Posts