Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Chickens

50605 Views 674 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  motoscoota
I lost a bird a couple weeks ago to my own dog.
Lost a hen to a hawk attack yesterday. The flocks are locked in their enclosed runs today. Hopefully it moves on to better hunting grounds. Doubt the chickens would be out of the run much this week anyway...

Mike
641 - 660 of 675 Posts
My wife has found them on ‘Michigan hatching eggs’. We’ve purchased from Painted Fowl (north of Baldwin), a few local Kent Co hobby farms, and have had eggs shipped to us (can be a crap shoot). We have roosters, and will also hatch our own (black copper marans, welsummers, olive eggers). If you’re around Newaygo, let me know…. You can also let a broody sit on fake eggs, then stick chicks under her at night after three weeks…

Mike
Occasionally we'll have broody hens. They tend to spend a lot of time in their coop in recent weeks, so it's hard to tell right now.

Where do you buy fertilized eggs? We don't have a rooster.
People will advertise hatching eggs on the chicken groups on FB.There are also small animal swap meets where people will have hatching eggs for sale.
Occasionally we'll have broody hens. They tend to spend a lot of time in their coop in recent weeks, so it's hard to tell right now.

Where do you buy fertilized eggs? We don't have a rooster.
Reactions: thill
I ended up with an oops rooster.We call him Mathew he was named Matilda until he started looking like a rooster.This spring I'll let my hens sit on eggs .I need to replace a couple of old girls that have become the dreaded pets.
A neighbor had a hen that kept getting bigger and just had the most spectacular plumage... then it started singing too - not hen afterall. They named it Rupaul due to the gender disphoria🤣!
Kinda weird Mathew doesn't sing much.And I hope it stays that way. ;)
A neighbor had a hen that kept getting bigger and just had the most spectacular plumage... then it started singing too - not hen afterall. They named it Rupaul due to the gender disphoria🤣!
We had an oops rooster. We named him rapey….he was a bit aggressive with our hens. Not the vibe we were hoping for. He was aggressive with humans too. Luckily not with any kids. He attacked me while once. That was rapey’s last mistake. Can’t have that.
Reactions: jr9912 and Dr Crane
This is the (in)famous Rose the Adventure Chicken, aka Rose the Kitchen Chicken. On day 2 of chicken ownership, not knowing squat about flock behavior, I came home to find this girl in the corner of the coop with her entire neck pecked out by the 2 ISA browns that I also had just purchased the day before. I thought that Rose, the Polish, was dead at first.

After nursing her back to health, treating her for 3 different illnesses (twice a day oral meds for 2 weeks), later finding that she had Merricks Disease (thanks to an x-ray that I had done due to other concerns), and a camping/salmon fishing trip in the Manistee National Forest, she now spends her time in the kitchen with a roost (old office chair), nesting box (cat carrier), and a house to roam at her leisure. [emoji3]
Vertebrate Tree Plant People in nature Beard
Bird Beak Natural material Feather Galliformes

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Kitchen chicken??? A breed I’m not familiar with or an actual open door policy with critters?
It's truly amazing how resilient of a creature they are.I have seen them recover from some pretty serious injuries like nothing happened.
This is the (in)famous Rose the Adventure Chicken, aka Rose the Kitchen Chicken. On day 2 of chicken ownership, not knowing squat about flock behavior, I came home to find this girl in the corner of the coop with her entire neck pecked out by the 2 ISA browns that I also had just purchased the day before. I thought that Rose, the Polish, was dead at first.

After nursing her back to health, treating her for 3 different illnesses (twice a day oral meds for 2 weeks), later finding that she had Merricks Disease (thanks to an x-ray that I had done due to other concerns), and a camping/salmon fishing trip in the Manistee National Forest, she now spends her time in the kitchen with a roost (old office chair), nesting box (cat carrier), and a house to roam at her leisure. [emoji3] View attachment 872084 View attachment 872085

Reactions: Macs13
Absolutely. I thought that I was looking at a dead bird. They pecked her to the bone over the whole length of her neck. Her spirit never wavered, although I do have to limit her outside time (I put up a run just for her) to days when the other two chickens are across the yard from her (their coop/run is mobile) or she gets panicked.

It's truly amazing how resilient of a creature they are.I have seen them recover from some pretty serious injuries like nothing happened.
Reactions: Dr Crane
That’s awesome! You got a big heart Macs! That bird is lucky to have you. Sounds like she’s showing her appreciation each day by giving you breakfast. Nice work!

After nursing her back to health, treating her for 3 different illnesses (twice a day oral meds for 2 weeks), later finding that she had Merricks Disease (thanks to an x-ray that I had done due to other concerns), and a camping/salmon fishing trip in the Manistee National Forest, she now spends her time in the kitchen with a roost (old office chair), nesting box (cat carrier), and a house to roam at her leisure. [emoji3] View attachment 872084 View attachment 872085

Reactions: Macs13
My rooster ended up getting frost bite on his comb during that cold snap. :( It looks terrible but doesn't seem to bother him.🤷‍♂️
There's this stuff called Musher's Secret. It's marketed as salve applied to prevent dog paws from ice/frost/snow related irritation. It's basically a tub of a rich caranuba wax emulsion. I use it on my dog each day with below freezing Temps. It actually works wonders & my hands love it too.

It's become an always stocked item in my household.

Recently, I learned that it's also used by chicken and horse keepers to help prevent and/or heal frist bite on ears, noses, combs & waddles - not just for dogs.

It is a very powerful water repellant and skin moisturizer. It is so effective at both, that I even treat my leather boots with it.

I think your rooster would benefit - can't recommend it enough.
My rooster ended up getting frost bite on his comb during that cold snap. :( It looks terrible but doesn't seem to bother him.🤷‍♂️
Hat Plant Sun hat Orange Natural foods

My chicken guy….
  • Haha
Reactions: Waif and motoscoota
^^^
That must be the guy that sells feed and coup accessories🤣
Better lock up the laying hens.They are worth more than catalytic converters at the current price of eggs.
^^^
That must be the guy that sells feed and coup accessories🤣
My rooster was crowing the other day and my neighbor said "there you go again flaunting your wealth". :LOL:
Question:

My birds haven't laid since October of 2022. They all molted at basically the same time and quit laying, then just never started up again. I know that girls generally slow down (and sometimes even stop) in winter months but we never had this issue with our previous flock. Is this normal?

We have two olive eggers and two americuana's (one might be an easter egger, idk). Birds are approx. 1.5yrs old. They can't be laid out already... can they?

Considering replacing them with new birds in a month or two and upgrading the coop. In the future will probably run a light for them to keep them laying through the winter.
Mine have also stopped laying. The outside birds have successfully moulted and the inside girl is slowly struggling through her moult (I have to get her down from her roost every morning because all of her flight feathers went at the same time, lol). I've been told that if I want the outside girls to lay in the winter, I need to add about 4 hours of light to the coop. Because mine are just backyard birds (not selling eggs), I've just allowed them to go on their natural cycle, making them into pets that I still have to feed and care for, lol. Next year, I might try the light.

Question:

My birds haven't laid since October of 2022. They all molted at basically the same time and quit laying, then just never started up again. I know that girls generally slow down (and sometimes even stop) in winter months but we never had this issue with our previous flock. Is this normal?

We have two olive eggers and two americuana's (one might be an easter egger, idk). Birds are approx. 1.5yrs old. They can't be laid out already... can they?

Considering replacing them with new birds in a month or two and upgrading the coop. In the future will probably run a light for them to keep them laying through the winter.
Reactions: d_rek
Food Ingredient Cuisine Preserved food Retail
Better lock up the laying hens.They are worth more than catalytic converters at the current price of eggs.
I took this pic at my local Kroger a couple days ago. Eggsanity!
Rectangle Wood Shelf Shelving Hardwood

641 - 660 of 675 Posts