Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Chickens

50605 Views 674 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  motoscoota
I lost a bird a couple weeks ago to my own dog.
Lost a hen to a hawk attack yesterday. The flocks are locked in their enclosed runs today. Hopefully it moves on to better hunting grounds. Doubt the chickens would be out of the run much this week anyway...

Mike
601 - 620 of 675 Posts
Wife and I spent most of the weekend cleaning coops and getting them ready for winter. We’re not done yet, but close…. Pay the $3.29 and smile. 😉
Just paid 3.29 for a dozen of plain ol kroger brand large eggs. Might be time for chickens lol
They are much better quality than the $3.29 a dozen eggs.If you don't believe me do a side by side comparison .You'll see the difference.
Wife and I spent most of the weekend cleaning coops and getting them ready for winter. We’re not done yet, but close…. Pay the $3.29 and smile. 😉
Yea I get it. I used to have chickens as a kid. Only 3 of them but seemed they provided a fair number of eggs.
I don’t deny that, here’s a pic of our eggs vs store-bought. But, getting chickens to save money - that math just doesn’t add up!
Ingredient Cuisine Dish Staple food Natural material
They are much better quality than the $3.29 a dozen eggs.If you don't believe me do a side by side comparison .You'll see the difference.
The math don't add up but it is worth the extra cost for the quality.
I don’t deny that, here’s a pic of our eggs vs store-bought. But, getting chickens to save money - that math just doesn’t add up!
View attachment 861663
Been having a coyote trying to figure out how to get to my birds.
What's the shooting landscape like there?

It's a good excuse to post up and keep your shooting eyes up to the task!
Been having a coyote trying to figure out how to get to my birds.
Reactions: miruss
It's a residential neighborhood. Going to be looking into a livetrap so I can drag it inside the garage to finish that business. I believe the coyote is also responsible for the disappearance of my rooster.
What's the shooting landscape like there?

It's a good excuse to post up and keep your shooting eyes up to the task!
Reactions: motoscoota
Are your eggs the scrambled eggs made with yolks included, or the scrambled eggs with almost no yolks included?

I have never, in 62 years, made scrambled eggs that were white, like that. Probably 98% of the eggs I've consumed were from store-bought eggs. That is just egg-whites scrambled, with just a tiny bit of yolk, or no yolk. But nice try at deception. lol

I will say that I have a daughter, and some friends who have Chickens. Their eggs look and taste amazing. Duck eggs are the bomb, and I prefer them to Chicken eggs.
View attachment 861663
I have seen eggs lately from the store that had very light colored yolks.It really depends on what the birds are fed.
Are your eggs the scrambled eggs made with yolks included, or the scrambled eggs with almost no yolks included?

I have never, in 62 years, made scrambled eggs that were white, like that. Probably 98% of the eggs I've consumed were from store-bought eggs. That is just egg-whites scrambled, with just a tiny bit of yolk, or no yolk. But nice try at deception. lol

I will say that I have a daughter, and some friends who have Chickens. Their eggs look and taste amazing. Duck eggs are the bomb, and I prefer them to Chicken eggs.
I got me an Eggman at work, I happily pay him $3.50 a dozen for high quality, mostly jumbo, eggs.
Quality is the number one reason for keeping laying hens.Store bought eggs for the most part are not very good.Sometimes my birds will lay eggs with yolks that are a very intense yellow orange color.That's normally a summer egg that the birds have been spending a lot of time free ranging eating grass,bugs,flowers the wife planted:LOL:,and whatever else they find.
I got me an Eggman at work, I happily pay him $3.50 a dozen for high quality, mostly jumbo, eggs.
No deception (although I don’t know why the photo looks so messed up). The light eggs came from a carton from Meijer. The others came from our hens.

Yolk color is subject to multiple factors.
Commercial eggs resulting color attempts at consistency depend on feed ingredients.

How 'secret' additives are given to chickens to make their egg yolk bright yellow | Daily Mail Online

Why Are Some Egg Yolks More Yellow Than Others? - Cackle Hatchery
We’re down to a dozen hens, all 3 1/2 yrs old and they haven’t produced an egg in 3 days. What the heck is going on?
They slow down when they get older, short days, molting. We have somewhere around 40-50, two eggs today.
We’re down to a dozen hens, all 3 1/2 yrs old and they haven’t produced an egg in 3 days. What the heck is going on?
That is one thing I really like about new hens.The crank out eggs like there's no tomorrow.I have a white leghorn hen that just started laying last week.Some days she has layed two eggs in a day.I know this because I don't have any hens that lay the same color of eggs.
Molting. Mine all but halted egg production a few weeks ago and are just now getting full plumage back.

They are moving lawn ornaments currently. Time to get back to work! :)
Something that I have been thinking of is adding some dried alfalfa to the feed I'm currently feeding them.The greens really are good for them and they help with the yolk color.
Reactions: Mike
Are you controlling the amount of light they have each day? (Supplemental light.)
Winters shorter hours historically meant a reduction in output.
Artificial light changed that.

A hen has X amount of eggs potential in her life. Drought / lack of water can mess that up ,
2-3 year olds can be the best producers. But older hens can keep producing.
Maybe it's 800-1000 eggs her entire life? Multiple factors apply but it is a finite thing eventually.

I kept hens beyond thier prime last time I had a flock.
Unlike my youth where slackers met the stew pot.
Long as I had eggs it was fine.

Folks used to rotate thier age classes. Every year or two new layers would be brooded (separately in many cases) to replace the earlier birds.
When we see them more as pets though . that goes out the window. Or you end up with a lot of birds!
601 - 620 of 675 Posts