Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
My chickens didn't lay eggs for a few months in the winter. They did lay for almost 5 years though.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I have one silki hen that just looks terrible when it is wet outside.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
As if a silki don't look bad enough dry....:lol:
:hide:
She's not even a pretty bird dry.But she really looks bad when it's raining.:lol:

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
She's kind of a funny looking bird.Almost like her skin don't fit rite.

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
980 Posts
Birds have been doing good, minus one casualty. I suspect it was this guy based on what I found, dog chased him off the other evening. I haven't seen his prints up near the house, but that's where the dog started the chase, so little Fox has been feeling pretty comfortable getting close, hopefully not anymore though.

Sure wish I could set traps here, but I know I would catch the neighbors cat more than anything.

IMG_0066.JPG

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
I have two foxes on trail cam about every other day sometimes at 10:30 am. My cams aren't showing any of the neighbors pets so I might try a couple sets. So far we haven't lost any birds but its only a matter of time. I have two live traps out but I've only caught possums. I hate to kill such a pretty fox but our paths will inevitably cross.

This cam is probably 150 yards from our coop.

Screenshot_20201217-192626_Tactacam Reveal.jpg

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
I have two foxes on trail cam about every other day sometimes at 10:30 am. My cams aren't showing any of the neighbors pets so I might try a couple sets. So far we haven't lost any birds but its only a matter of time. I have two live traps out but I've only caught possums. I hate to kill such a pretty fox but our paths will inevitably cross.

This cam is probably 150 yards from our coop.

View attachment 618751
We lost 3 to a fox in the middle of the day this fall. Spooked it coming back for number 4.

Steel went in the ground and the fox is no longer with us.

Neighbor cats and dogs are easy to release unharmed and shouldn't be wandering anyways. All my neighbors know I trap and don't have a problem.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
We lost 3 to a fox in the middle of the day this fall. Spooked it coming back for number 4.

Steel went in the ground and the fox is no longer with us.

Neighbor cats and dogs are easy to release unharmed and shouldn't be wandering anyways. All my neighbors know I trap and don't have a problem.
We have a few feral cats that hang around but leave the chickens alone.I really don't mind because they keep the mice in check.At least the ones the chickens don't get.;)

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
All my birds are on winter break except for one little mille .She's a trooper laying one little tiny egg every day.:banana-dance:

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
All my birds are on winter break except for one little mille .She's a trooper laying one little tiny egg every day.:banana-dance:
If you lived closer I’d give you some of ours! The flock molted in October / November, egg count was way down. Young birds started laying in the last few weeks, we’re averaging around 18 a day.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
If you lived closer I’d give you some of ours! The flock molted in October / November, egg count was way down. Young birds started laying in the last few weeks, we’re averaging around 18 a day.
It's just break time for them.Even the chickens need a break every once in a while.;)

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Our production went from 18 -20 per day to 6 -7/day. I just put a red light in their coop on a timer to give them a few more hours of light and their production went up to 9 per day.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Our production went from 18 -20 per day to 6 -7/day. I just put a red light in their coop on a timer to give them a few more hours of light and their production went up to 9 per day.
Just be very careful with a light in the hen house.I belong to a chicken group on FB.Every fall and winter people end up burning their coops down using lamps in them.

221 - 240 of 270 Posts