Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicaugon Lake owners association got bates township and stambaugh township to pass ordinance to charge $40 season pass to use lake.

With help we can stop this from happening Call Casperson and voice opinion
1 517 373 7840

Everyone fears the fees will spread to all other lakes in Iron County area
if we allow this to happen

This is a public County boat landing we all pay to use with taxes already.

Please Help

·
Registered
7 Posts
what they are doing is not right. a private organization is trying to charge to go on a public lake. what they are proposing is not a fee to go thru the boat landing, it's a fee to be on the water. this should be left up to the DNR, who have biologists studying the problem with the invasive species, not a private lake association who have questionable interests in this matter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sanford Lake in Midland County has similar rules. If the county or township owns the land, they pretty much can do what they want. Not that I agree, but it somewhat owners rights.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What a joke! Ive fished that lake growing up for years and watched the rich move in and try to take over. My call will be made tomorrow promptly. What does luckey's think of this? I bet the two of them are mad as hornets. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope, you cannot charge to be on a public water way, however, you can charge to put a boat in on private land. They know this, but they're testing the waters. People down there should have fought it. It's just a way for private owners to control the lake.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
There was a popular lake closer to home where the launch fees were becoming exorbitant. In this case, the WDNR told the managers of the launches around the lake that if the fee gouging continued, they would quit stocking the lake.

It worked.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm actually camping on Chicagon right now and the camp owner said the fees will not be happening.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love living in Michigan but this is a horrible State for Public Lakes.....and Public River systems. We have a lake here in Southwest Michigan that the only drop in for a Public Lake is in the Private Boat Club on the lake so if you dont have a membership to the club you have to drive up river 12 mile to come back to the lake. I have lived in KY, MO and IL and this is the only state that I think has lost it freakin mind when it come to people hoarding the Natural Resources of a great state. It is very sad that this is happening to you at this lake and you all should fight it. Because if it happens there it will happen all over the state and that is sad. Good Luck

what they are doing is not right. a private organization is trying to charge to go on a public lake. what they are proposing is not a fee to go thru the boat landing, it's a fee to be on the water. this should be left up to the DNR, who have biologists studying the problem with the invasive species, not a private lake association who have questionable interests in this matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
exactly , every body who lives in Mi. should call . if this holds , all the assosiations will try it . Let me make this clear it is a charge to be on the water no matter how your boat gets on . its not a launch fee. the attorney general has the ordinance now . Keep calling in please . This lake is a deep big body of water weeds have a slim to none chance of taking it over. As a matter of fact the attorney who wrote the ordinance has his boat inside the millfoil boyes,a violation of the very ordinance he wrote same for the township supervisor who parks a pontoon boat inside the area . Its not a matter of weeds as it is control. quote from association letter, working on township ordinance which would require all watercraft using OUR lake to obtain a local permit consistent with a proposed fee schedule end of quote. It isnt their lake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a sad day when an association can try to take control of a public body of water and tell only those who can afford to pay may use the lake. With these fees I'm sure many civic groups who normally kayak and canoe on this public body of water will no longer be able to because of these imposed fees and fines!! I hope everyone contacts Senator Casperson's office and demand for the attorney general office to look into the legallity of this. I can not see how an private association can get away with this!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess the lake association and township folks wrote what they call tickets to some vehicles recently. At a county owned boat launch, not a township owned launch may I add. They wrote them to "license plates" as they legally cannot identify a vehicle owner. Maybe this step will get this to the A.G. office and hopefully Rep Casperson's phone has been ringing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm actually camping on Chicagon right now and the camp owner said the fees will not be happening.
pentoga park manager here

the lake assocation does not own the boat launch,nor stambaugh township,
the county of Iron does and the county comm. do not approve of this.
I am in a huge battle with stambaugh township and the lake assocation.

p.s please call the attonery generals office also.

patrick hingos,michi-aho:rant:

·
Registered
7 Posts
people have gone to township meetings to voice their opinions but it seems to fall on deaf ears . The main person seems to be Gene Pellizzaro he doesnt seem to get it .Phone calls to him wouldnt hurt his # is 906- 265-4992.Havnt heard anything from the attorny generals office yet but the ordinance is there.This is wrong on so many levels ,keep calling .Also I might add its not only fisherman who dont agree its all boaters using the water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd ring Casperson's phone off the hook. He's the local contact who could make the AG Office look at the matter. I think the county is setting up to be caught up in a legal mess when this all blows up. The county is allowing this enforcement person to write license plate tickets on county property.

·
Registered
7 Posts
called Caspersons office and they are still looking into it .Its at the A.G.s office now .the lake assosiation went to the dmv and paid to get the names of the ppl they wrote tickets too. I know 1 went and got a lawer and their looking into it . their is a county meeting coming up that something is supposed to be brought up to put an end to the boat launch drama. This assosiation took it upon themselves to spend money on the lake Dont ask for mine ,Mill foil is an excuse to controle the lake .

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes this is good. they should not have let them put it up in the first place!Give an inch take a mile!thats just what would happen with this ordinance as they have shown with the few rules the county asked them to abide by.
My son is a marine and is ready to fight if need be for our freedom. When he comes home he is expected to pay a lake assosiation to go on a public lake!!! I think not. Caspersons office needs to keep getting those calls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts