Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost all of my ripe cherry tomatoes have burst open in the past week. What causes this? I thought the drought immediately followed by two days of monsoon? Too hot?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Yep, dry followed by rain. I had picked several regular toms before the rain, and some were actually kinda dry and pithy (for a tomato at least). Many of mine are now splitting. Bad, Bad year ... the critters are eating on them (lack of water I suppose), many are rotting as they start to turn (not blossom end rot), and I have about 1/4+ of my plants that started to up and die over the last month (disease of some type) ... plus the normal blossom end rot that I normally fight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its caused from the heat toughening the skin and then getting a large amount of rain, the skin cannot stretch so it cracks. The only way to stop it is consistent watering. Pick anything thing almost ripe and let them ripen in doors. Water a little each day unless it rains.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yup, as others have said, too much rain after not enough. The rain washes the calcium from the skin of the fruit, which weakens it causing the split. If you water your garden for a short period(I water for about 20min) every day at least once a day(twice if its been really dry) you can limit the cracking. I used to water only when dry, and my tomatoes cracked every year. Now, doing this, I might get a couple that crack slightly, but it is very few, and usually only the large heirlooms. Keeping them evenly moist seems to be the key, and if you can water at ground level this is supposed to help also(a tip from my neighbor, I use a sprinkler on a timer).

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
IMO I think they are just over ripe. That happens on my plants year after year reguardless of the amount of rain.

I have found that the patio variety of cherries and grape tomatoes don't split at all. I'm going on the 3rd year with these and so far so good. They only grow about three foot tall but they're easy picking.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Yep, dry followed by rain. I had picked several regular toms before the rain, and some were actually kinda dry and pithy (for a tomato at least). Many of mine are now splitting. Bad, Bad year ... the critters are eating on them (lack of water I suppose), many are rotting as they start to turn (not blossom end rot), and I have about 1/4+ of my plants that started to up and die over the last month (disease of some type) ... plus the normal blossom end rot that I normally fight.
I'm having the same problems. As you said, it's water related. I have never had this cracking problem.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Some of mine are half gone becuause of A hornworm! Friend had 3 at once devouring the plant! They are a moth larvae but where do they live when not on a tomato plant or are they born there?

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Some of mine are half gone becuause of A hornworm! Friend had 3 at once devouring the plant! They are a moth larvae but where do they live when not on a tomato plant or are they born there?
I started a thread on hormworms a week and a half ago.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431417

I got them this year on first my roma and then my cherry tomato plant. Never had them before this year.

The moth lays single eggs on plant leaves and the hornworm hatches a couple days later and starts chowing.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Never seen that before:confused:
Me either. I think it's my own fault. I quit watering at the wrong time. They got too dry and then too wet. I have never had a problem with cherries cracking before, even when some of the big ones cracked. I have very few cherries that are not cracked right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts