Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also got checked last May. That makes two times in close to 40 years. Guess they're stepping up enforcement or wanted to get some hours on the jet. Nice guys, we chatted briefly and they headed on down, saw them a couple hours later motoring back up. Very quiet on the river with only one other fishing boat sighted and four trailers total, also 5 kayaks, two racing canoes and a pleasure canoe. Of course, I remember the old days when seeing that many trailers would have seemed like a crowd except on the opener.

Fishing was ok but not great. We were hoping that with the water in the upper 50s and no hatches or planters the big fish might be looking for a bigger meal but we only moved three and boated one. Freaking beautiful to be in a tee shirt on the river on 4/10. So nice to be out there. Water is super low, like August low. Hope it's not a real hot summer.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bad was pretty bad and then followed by a lot of anchor ice in '13/'14. Hope it's a wet, cool summer. I've already heard some grumbling about over all numbers being down, possibly as the result of so few 5-7 year old fish. Not that many live that long even when the weather is easy on them.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,425 Posts
When I first moved up here from GR & before taking occupancy I got a few "checks".
Some of those locals told me how "bad" some of the officers were and bad mouthed them. I had our son out on our property chasing tree rats without orange once and instead of a sermon we both received cheap orange vests and after I said I have orange & apologized for not having it on, was told he didn't get the opportunity to give the vests out much and to take them, even if I passed them on to someone less fortunate.

From a fishing aspect I've been checked far more often mainly because I hunt far less each year as time passes. One time on Hardy pond with my Wife, best buddy & his spouse we got a "shakedown" and buddy Spud said "Hey look, there's the green boys checking people".
I said so? It's not like we're violating and trying to sneak away - and he made the comment they were watching us.
We were the next to get checked out.
There was a male and female officer on their craft; the gentleman held the gunnel up in the bow where I was seated and asked about proper number of PFD's, registration, safety equipment Etc. When asked about my throwable as I was pulling it out he said "that's OK, I trust you".
My buddy wasn't as happy because he had to open the livewell and open their tackle boxes and coolers, which wouldn't have bothered me in the least. Oh the lady asked if we'd caught the ten inch gills where we were - surprised to see several in that size.
Of course the commotion pushed away many of those larger fish and we needed to relocate a little.
One of the Hesperia area men knew me by name and I'd often joke about going out on thin ice to pack a bucket with walleye (I'm overweight and he's rather slim) - he would tell me go ahead, I'm not going to risk my butt and if I really wanted to check you, you'll have to come to shore before spring LOL!
I can honestly say that every single person that represents our DNR have all been genuinely decent and good people. I stand by that to this day.
Good folks doing the best they can and trying to learn & teach the good charge.
Our laws and rules will change and sometimes people have a hard time understanding that often it's just a little bigger than "me, me, me" or wants and needs - but more often for the betterment of the planet and mankind. You don't have to agree with my thinking, but we must try to put differences aside and get along together. Adapt and overcome is never easy, especially when done peacefully...

RAS

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
When I first moved up here from GR & before taking occupancy I got a few "checks".
Some of those locals told me how "bad" some of the officers were and bad mouthed them. I had our son out on our property chasing tree rats without orange once and instead of a sermon we both received cheap orange vests and after I said I have orange & apologized for not having it on, was told he didn't get the opportunity to give the vests out much and to take them, even if I passed them on to someone less fortunate.

From a fishing aspect I've been checked far more often mainly because I hunt far less each year as time passes. One time on Hardy pond with my Wife, best buddy & his spouse we got a "shakedown" and buddy Spud said "Hey look, there's the green boys checking people".
I said so? It's not like we're violating and trying to sneak away - and he made the comment they were watching us.
We were the next to get checked out.
There was a male and female officer on their craft; the gentleman held the gunnel up in the bow where I was seated and asked about proper number of PFD's, registration, safety equipment Etc. When asked about my throwable as I was pulling it out he said "that's OK, I trust you".
My buddy wasn't as happy because he had to open the livewell and open their tackle boxes and coolers, which wouldn't have bothered me in the least. Oh the lady asked if we'd caught the ten inch gills where we were - surprised to see several in that size.
Of course the commotion pushed away many of those larger fish and we needed to relocate a little.
One of the Hesperia area men knew me by name and I'd often joke about going out on thin ice to pack a bucket with walleye (I'm overweight and he's rather slim) - he would tell me go ahead, I'm not going to risk my butt and if I really wanted to check you, you'll have to come to shore before spring LOL!
I can honestly say that every single person that represents our DNR have all been genuinely decent and good people. I stand by that to this day.
Good folks doing the best they can and trying to learn & teach the good charge.
Our laws and rules will change and sometimes people have a hard time understanding that often it's just a little bigger than "me, me, me" or wants and needs - but more often for the betterment of the planet and mankind. You don't have to agree with my thinking, but we must try to put differences aside and get along together. Adapt and overcome is never easy, especially when done peacefully...

RAS
I have only had one so-so experience, and I was the one who didn't the ORV sticker on my quad because I left it in my truck like a dumbass. He didn't believe me or care, which pissed me off and I got mouthy. My fault and I told him after a little conversation back and forth that I understood and I was obviously in the wrong, but was more pissed at myself. He seemed to be ok with that and went on his way, so I can't really blame him for it because he had a legit complaint and I was a dick.

Other than that, every time I get checked they are always very professional and courteous. Usually will sit and BS a bit with you too. More than once they have shared info with me.

I wouldn't want to do their job. I appreciate that they do. Plus, they are busy when they should be fishing/hunting!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Fished in early april in a river with worms in a very popular walleye hole and was checked by a co. I told him no luck. I did not notice off the metal railing a rope was tied and it went into the water, only was like 3 ft from my leg too. Clearly the rope had something on it. The co saw it and asked is this yours. I said no. He kept saying i think its yours and I need to check you for out of season fish on it...he pulled it up ( even stopped again in the middle and said, are you sure this isnt yours. I said no its not.) And someone had just tied weights on the end, no fish...no idea why it was like that...since no out of season fish were on it he did nothing...but I know had there been an eye or bass on it he woulda wrote me up for sure.

Only other meh interaction was years ago on cs mott in flint, got a 24 and 1/4" pike on a buzzbait. Co said, I know that fish is short why did you keep it. I said no its not its 24 and 1/4"..he said I dont know about that, measured it and it was...lol. he left immediately after without even asking for my license

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I like to just start handing them bs stories as they are checking me. After the first check they usually remember me and go on their way.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I have to say with all the BS stories they are fed on the daily, I'm sure that would create some skepticism on my part as to truthfulness of the people while getting checked....
That’s what the guy said that kinda made me think. He says, “You and everyone else leaves it in the truck”. I’m sure everyone does say something similar. But I told him I’d go with him to grab it, he said he didn’t have time and we argued a bit. Then he pretty much said, it’s required to be on your ATV, it isn’t, end of story.

I am sure my pissy attitude helped absolutely nothing. I paid my fine and chalked it up as a learning experience. You know what I never forgot again!? Lol

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I often don't carry my wallet when I'm wading. It's uncomfortable in my wading pants and I worry about getting it wet if it's not inside the waders. So I keep a copy of my license in my vest but that gets wet, too. So there's a pdf of the license on my phone. I wish they'd do a card like Canada does. Heck, I'd actually pay a little extra if I could get a card, especially if it was a three year license. $80 for three years and a card would be fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
Nearly every story that usually doesn't end well would boil down to us not making a good decision or poor choice.
Some gents here I'm more than willing to share info with. Hell some I just love to hear about some of their trips or what they did at work.
Real people...
The hassle over the rope story is hard to put myself in those shoes too, but it's harder to put yourself in the officers shoes too because so many will choose dishonesty over the right thing.
I'd question it and hammer it hard myself too. But that's because of the odds being against you to start, right?

OH well, that's just me.

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
I've been checked a couple handfuls of times in my life. I've also worked with CO for the Riverwatch during Salmon season at Tippy. You literally cannot fathom the ridiculous situations COs face, pretty much on a daily basis. Crazy Trespasser stories, and snagging stories, and poaching/hunting stories. And a lot of the folks they come in contact with are carrying at least 1 gun. My hats are off to every one of them. I've had a few experiences with COs who were strictly business, and pretty much hardasses; and I've had experiences where they were very friendly, and nice. They all have their way of doing their jobs, and I am glad for them doing their jobs. I honestly don't think it would be real safe to hunt or fish on public property, if they weren't around, somewhere. They deal with a lot of hardcore Lowlifes, who live criminal lives in general.

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
Yes Sir!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I am fully behind the coast guard and conservation officers and have had all great experiences except for one two years ago on the Saginaw River. Came into the mouth and shut her down to idle speed and soon had a couple larger boats come rolling in behind me at higher than wake speed and then they both overtook me and went in to the DNR launch while I continued upriver. Got up near the coast guard station and a boat comes roaring out with blue lights ablaze and pulled me over. He said he observed me through binoculars going over idle speed and throwing a wake down at the mouth. I was about to argue my case when he said they weren't gonna board me and it was just a warning so I just didn't say anything. I think he knew as well as I did that there is no way he could tell who threw a wake from a mile away through binoculars and that since I was the only one who came upriver I was the target of opportunity. Oh well, I wouldn't want the job of dealing with all the aholes that they have to and I am glad they are out there so all is good I guess.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CO's are getting paid for their work.
Therefore, it's a business.
So, like any business interaction, make sure you're prepared with documentation and thorough knowledge of the rules. Then, you have nothing to fear. It's very simple.
We as sportsman have a responsibility to know and follow the rules.
Sure mistakes are made. We pay the price, and learn from our mistakes.
Education isn't free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts