Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
neat idea but at 107.00 ill just use a auger and spud:) wonder how easy it really is those are some wicked teeth bet ya get far with every slice up and down.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
The ad says its "ideal for first ice". I'm betting it wouldn't work too well with the 12" or so ice I've been drilling through lately.

Interesting design though.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
looks like it could work but I don't know about getting it started in say 14" or 16" of ice
I kinda like a chainsaw myself

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah It is over priced a bit but so cool looking! Looks like Ahabs spear itself! Anyone with some flat stock laying around and a plasma torch willing to fabricate? Hey Trout can you make one of these???

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
All most all the farmers owned one of those in the 1940's and back, they were used to cut ice blocks from a near by lake or pond and hauled back to have a huge ice box that was outside the house, the ice blocks were put in a small building and covered with saw dust from the many Mills around at the time (no Home depots around back then) One farmer In New Jersey where I lived in 1962 told me the ice would last the whole time between sawing the ice the next year. Ever notice when you saw wood with a chain saw even out side and it happens to cover some snow that it stays long after the rest of the snow is gone out in the open with the sun hitting it

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow! Only 101 uses?
Sure do wish you could get more use out of it for $107 dollars.
Thats only about a dollar a hole.
Not a very good bargain. he he he :D :rolleyes:

-LB :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
How do you get this thing started? don't you need a HOLE first and then you can start cutting? Somthing is wrong with the engineering.

Think about it-

Step one- Drill and hole

Step two- get out the ice saw and start-- aw the heck with it

Mark

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting Steve! My grandpa told us all about his first job was cutting ice out of the Raisin River and selling it somewhere in Monroe. If I get one of these things maybe he will actually go ice fishing with me. If anyone ever see's an or has an old ice saw like this let me know if you want to sell it.

Yeah guys it would be a pain probably but I like the old stuff. I wear a mad bomber hat with rabbit fur out all the time and real woven Irish wool socks ( talk about warm). I used to use an antique auger now that was too much. But I like the old stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a fishin buddy that's been telling about that thing for years. He's seen them in the UP. He swears they work even in thicker ice. You'd have to aug a hole first in ice this thick I guess. that chisel on the end seems a little flimzy for ice this thick. I wouldn't spend $107. on an experiment though!!

Maybe I'll see one of you out there soon though!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Steve..Steve...Steve.........You have a story for EVERY post on this site don't you?

How have you been this winter?

Let me know when your ready this spring, and we'll have to get out to Turtle Island and do some jigging.

See ya soon,

Captain Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts