Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the two 'cudas I caught in Cancun, Mexico last week. Not exactly Michigan natives, but I thought you guys would like to see them.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the heavy tackle and fighting chair it still took 15-20 minutes each. We were using 50 pound test line and the bait was live yellowtails around 15-20 inches long. We didn't have a scale, but I guessed they weighed around thirty pounds each.

I went out with six friends and together we caught two each for a total of fourteen 'cudas. At one point we were fighting three fish at once, talk about a fire drill.

Steve B.

·
Registered
386 Posts
WOW!!! Great fish steve, I understand baracuda's are hard to get to the boat without them cutting your line.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it's true. We lost two fish that broke the steel leader right behind the boat. I can't say for sure if they bit through it or it snapped from them thrashing around before we could gaff them. Sometimes when they'd strike and miss getting hooked you could pump the rod and watch them circle back and grab the bait again. The water was so clear they could be seen twenty feet down.

Steve B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts