1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lakeside had one there today

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
From the site....this is the cheaper one.. Please note! All Icegator drives are on a 2 week back order.
Weight
15 lbs

ICEGATOR COMPETITER
This drive unit will accept 8" or smaller auger bits. Designed mainly for inside ice houses, comes standard with adaptor shaft for hand auger, 12 volt block system installed, 10' of cord. Simply hooks up to any truck, ATV, or 12 volt marine battery. 195 rpm at the cutting edge, you just simply drill your hole and push the reverse button to remove the ice slush from your hole. This unit only weighs an amazing 15 lbs, and can run on 24 volts with any two 12volt 9ah or 12volt 12ah batteries. $369.99

·
Registered
86 Posts
I seen something like this last year it seemed nice I remember it was quit but the guy said it was a pain to lug a battery around and when he got into the thick stuff the motor wasnt strong enough to keep the auger going but my jiffy gas auger gets like that once in a while and a little lift ushally takes care of it any one who has tryed this fill us in thanks and good luck to everyone -tom

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
actually a pretty cool concept... looks like it uses two SLA batteries that plug in (I'm assuming zeus batteries from the case.... it shouldn't be too heavy, think two vexilar batteries, a single dc motor, a housing, handles, and a coupler. you add the drill portion.

the only thing that concerns me, i wonder what torque that motor puts out... if its direct drive if it hangs on something you may be going for a spin cycle.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm getting one this season. IMO, go with the cordless model with internal batteries and get the one with higher amp batteries. Why would they offer two versions for the same price, one with less amps than the other? Seems like a no-brainer to get the higher amp model.
So much for gas, fumes, etc. I can't imagine needing to drill more than 90 holes in one outing!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
28 pounds witht he batteries!?!?!?No thanks! Ill bring my gas auger out!

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
i'd imagine for people pokin' holes for them large houses that they use in WI and MN.... since its not so great to have 2-stroke exhaust in the kitchen area or the living room.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
28 pounds witht he batteries!?!?!?No thanks! Ill bring my gas auger out!
thats for the larger one... 23 i believe for the one with 9ah batteries.... i'm not too sure how heavy my gas auger is, but i'd guess about the same maybe???

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do they mean by "Designed mainly for inside ice houses"?
That is for the one that runs off of a 12 volt battery. Lighter that way.
The others run off their own self contained vex type batteries, they run on 24 volts. If any one has any questions I can get the sales manager from Icegator to answer em. Just PM me

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I bought a nice Jiffy a few years ago before they came out with all this electric stuff. It should last me as long as I ever want to use it so I won't be buying one of them soon. There are some youtube videos of these electric augers in races vs gas and hand, and the gas always wins. I can see using them indoors of the larger ice houses though, but if its truly a house, do their holes really freeze up?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whats wrong with a regular, manual, blow-out-your-shoulder auger. Every time I see gas and eletric augers just makes me think of more weight to be dragging along. Dont get me wrong if I waited for the ice to get thick enough I could drive my car or 4 wheeler out on it,,,, sure as **** I would have one. But im always out to early to be wanting to drag that those around. It only takes me about 30 sec. to pop out a 6 inch wide 5inch deep hole with my lazer. Gives me something to do if im not catching anything.

PS

Im only 22:lol:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
That is for the one that runs off of a 12 volt battery. Lighter that way.
The others run off their own self contained vex type batteries, they run on 24 volts. If any one has any questions I can get the sales manager from Icegator to answer em. Just PM me
That still doesn't explain what "Designed mainly for inside ice houses" means. Does it have to be kept warm because the cold kills the battery?
Can I take it out on the ice in the morning and keep it out in the cold all day, then drill holes that evening? Or does the cold sap the life out of the battery?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The augger looks okay only it is heavy and you have to carry a battery with you. I just bought this drill motor for $190 and it comes with two batteries. I have not had any problems going through the ice and it lasts all day long (about twenty holes). Also, I use it around the house and it is light. The reason I bought this one was because I did some research on different kinds and this one seemed like the best one for the use with the laser augger. I also carry a handle just in case my battery runs out.

DeWalt DC987KA Factory Reconditioned 1/2 inch 18V Heavy-Duty Cordless Drill/Driver Kit, 0-450/0-1500 RPM
I bought this from www.toolking.com.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I spent some big bucks a couple years ago to buy a quiet gas auger....all for nothing. Theres always a guy with a 20 year old two stroke auger with no muffler on it making a hole next to me anyhow.

And who drills a hole inside a shanty anyhow? All it does is throw water all over your gear. Seems like a waste of money to me an more junk to haul around....JMHO...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts