Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow the Outdoor Life magazine Dec-Jan issue comes out and my Dad(Dave Brower) is in it for one of the 25 people who changed the face of Hunting & Fishing! He is featured in it for all his involvement over the last 20+ years in doing wood duck boxes. I'm also mentioned being his helper and we have a combined 165 boxes between the both of us. He has a pic and explains all of what he has accomplished in the years, and also explains what wood duck boxes involve. Which to us it's every other night and every sat & sun. from end of Feb. through early June every year. He also bands them and keeps record of every woody & hoody he has banded and it's activity as they migrate potentialy to the same box year after year. Some as many as 6 years consistant....It also talks about his involvment with different organizations such as the Jack Miner Foundation, etc...Which we have been in contact with Kirk Miner for quite a few years in regards to our banding.
Please ck it out and let me know what you guys think. It's nice to see and I'm very proud of him as well. Now he's trying to avoid the news teams that are calling him...But if you get a chance stop by and get a copy somewhere.

Pat Brower

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good info. I'll watch my mail. Good work too, by the way. (to the both of you)

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
Got it yesterday have to look;)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Tell your dad thanks......thats why we see so many wood ducks during our hunts.....Mack

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tell your dad, keep up the good work! Thanks for your efforts as well. Best year I have seen for woodies in a while!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys! I'll try to get a copy online to post it...pdf or something. I'm going to go get a couple copies at lunch today...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Their is also a section to vote for my Dad on the link...If you want to vote that would be great, but I understand if not being I'm sure not a lot of you know him...If I could explain him in a short paragraph, and what he has done I would. But it would take a good page or two!!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Their is also a section to vote for my Dad on the link...If you want to vote that would be great, but I understand if not being I'm sure not a lot of you know him...If I could explain him in a short paragraph, and what he has done I would. But it would take a good page or two!!!
Please do post a page or two of you and your dad's accomplishments towards conservation. Maybe some of us could learn from this and aspire to be like that. With DU Magazine saying we are losing the duck factory, we might need it more than ever.

·
Registered
131 Posts
TFA, you have much to be thankful for it apears, a role model in conservation and a great dad who spent time with you. I'd like some more info on the details so I can help this year, it sounds great.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the interest guys. I'll put something together in the next few days and tell you exactly what we do...It's a lot of fun but also a lot of work! Almost like a second job in the spring but bringing back what we take in the fall is worth the work!!!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Very cool, congrats to you, your dad, and family.

I put a couple wood duck boxes up last year, neither of them took, one did have eggs in it, actually still does. . .they are not within sight of each other but I think they must have just used trees close by as there were two hens in the pond in late June (one with 4 and one with 6 ducklings).

Could you post your best plans for building (I need to put some more out) and also the best place to put them that you have found. . .I put them along a beaver pond edge with PVC to keep the critters away (which I think worked as the eggs are still there).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hear is some info. on how the wood duck boxes work:

- Well I'm not sure of the dimensions on the box. I would have to ask my Dad. He has made a few himself. Otherwise all our boxes are made at our Feb. metting at MBWA(Macatawa Bay Waterfowlers Assoc.).
- When we put the boxes up we find a tree that is decent in size but small enough where we can saw the top of it off. Then we hang the box just above the top of the tree so we can get at it better when banding. Then we overhang the lip over the back of the box so rain cannot get down the back of the box. After that we install a 4' high section of flashing around the tree under the box so predators cannot get up the tree from underanth. That way they cannot get to the box from the top of the bottom. Sometimes we also add grease to the flashing beause racooms will try to get up the flashing. They tend to not try when they get full of grease:). Then we add about knuckle depth shavings inside the box and screw the top on. Then when we go to band the birds we approach the box with a tree trimmer that we put a spong on the end and taped on and plug the hole prior to bringing the ladder up to the box. Then we remove the lid and band the woody or take info. down if it't a recap.
- We make sure to nots everything we can with the nest and info. on the wood duck. The number of eggs, condition of nest, size of bird, etc... This all gets documented at the end of the year with the band info. When we clean the boxes starting the end of Feb. we also document if the nest was a good hatch, any bad eggs, pecked eggs, any signs of owls, etc...All this info. helps us figure out how birds re with their nesting. Whether they act different to their nest being their young birds, or do they take better care of their nests when they are older birds...Also it can vary by location, and how they change their habits whehter the box is right on the river where it sees more activity. Or whether it's set off the river in a flooding where a bird might take more care of it's nest...etc...
- This is why my Dad has been elected to be in the top 25. Maintaining roughly 190 of these boxes and also banding them takes a lot of time, and also dedication! It is worth it though to know how many Woodies we have provided a safe nest for, and with the couple thousand birds we have banded they also have hatched out birds that have hatched out birds, etc...and it's keeps going...
- To be able to hold a recap banded Woody in your hand that has been to the same box 5 or 6 years consistant and only just hold the bird without it making a attempt to fly is a awesome thing. The fact they know the program, and just let you almost hold the bird makes it all worth it as well!!! The fact they know your not danger, and are smart enough to know your just their for a few minutes and gone is a great feeling!
- Any other questions please feel free to ask! My Dad has spoke at different watefowl group meetings as well. We have been in MDHA's magazine, and also a couple newspapers explaining how it all works as well.

Pat

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Awesome stuff. I teach at a school near flint and another teacher and I just started a boys conservation and leadership club. We have about 15 7/8 grade boys that really don't get out in the outdoors too often. We are planning on building some woodduck boxes in the spring and putting them out. We are also going to take them fishing and showing them how to do around the house repairs. They are really into this stuff since most of them don't have the greatest male influences. We figure if they are with us and doing this stuff they aren't on the streets doing other stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts