Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harness season is coming and night crawlers are expensive By the dozen their about 25-28 cents a piece. On line at Knutsonlivebait if you buy 500 they cost about 18 cents. When you go thru 3-4 dozen a trip it is costly. They also sell quantities of 1000 for $150 (15 cents a piece). Free shipping orders over $75

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Order a flat (500) from Minnich's bait shop in Algonac if you want big, quality crawlers. That's the last bait shop in the area I can find that gets them direct fro the source in Canada. Most all the other shops get them from a middle man on this side if the border and the worms are always in worse shape. Knutson's like most others seem to weigh the worms instead of counting them, and the flats I've got from them in the past were usually around 470 worms. Every flat I've gotten from Minnich has been dead on 500, as were the flats from Brian's Blue water Bait who used the same supplier before the landlord kicked him out of the building.

But the best tip for saving $$$ on worms is to use half a crawler on a two hook harness and net every fish. I usually get about 3 fish per crawler half if I don't let the walleye head shake out if the water and fling the crawler off.

·
Registered
903 Posts
When I go up north I stop at Northwoods in pinconning and stock up. Bag of 100 for 10 bucks if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in Tawas right now and will be driving right thru Pinconning to pick up some cheese on my way home. I think I will stop at Northwoods and get some crawlers as well for that price. Thanks!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I believe they're limiting purchases of crawlers now.
I just stopped at Northwoods on my way home from Tawas the other day. The crawlers there are sold in bags of 5 dozen crawlers for $6.99 per bag, and currently a 2 bag limit, so you are getting 120 crawlers for $13.99, just less than 12 cents each. They are NOT the baby crawlers but the full sized one. The price is much better than the local bait shops around here.

·
44,250 Posts
I just stopped at Northwoods on my way home from Tawas the other day. The crawlers there are sold in bags of 5 dozen crawlers for $6.99 per bag, and currently a 2 bag limit, so you are getting 120 crawlers for $13.99, just less than 12 cents each. They are NOT the baby crawlers but the full sized one. The price is much better than the local bait shops around here.
Yep that sounds like what I had heard.

Years ago, I'm talking probably 10 yrs+ now, their crawlers were like friggin snakes! Biggest crawlers I'd ever been able to reliably find.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can be.
Don't get caught in the chief of police's garden though.
LMAO That happened to me 50 years ago in Detroit. While picking Night Crawlers in a Police Detective’s side yard he had crawled out of a upstairs window and onto the roof with his big flashlight and handgun to confront me. Scared the crap out of me and probably had him nervous about someone in his yard at night with a flashlight. I started asking for permission after that happened. His lawn had the most crawlers on the block. Some nights I could fill a can in no time.

·
Registered
21,649 Posts
LMAO That happened to me 50 years ago in Detroit. While picking Night Crawlers in a Police Detective’s side yard he had crawled out of a upstairs window and onto the roof with his big flashlight and handgun to confront me. Scared the crap out of me and probably had him nervous about someone in his yard at night with a flashlight. I started asking for permission after that happened. His lawn had the most crawlers on the block. Some nights I could fill a can in no time.
:police:
🥶

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
If you're going north for the holiday weekend, you can hit Northwoods on the way up, and back, and get 2 bags each time. They really are the best priced crawlers you'll find without buying 100 dozen. A little further north is Gordon's Bait, where M-65 crosses the Ausable River. That is where Northwoods gets their crawlers from. You can buy all you want from Gordon's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts