Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Decided to go now with cheap gas

Votes: 3 4.6%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So me and another member were discussing gas prices the other day. We don't head up north but I was recalling all those that said they might just stay closer to home back when gas was $4. So now that we are seeing cheaper gas who is going north for the opener? Almost forgot....10 days!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
My buddy and I were invited to hunt near Iron Mountain for the opener this year. When we got invited gas was about $4.10 a gallon and I didn't even think twice about going.

We initially figured gas for the trip would cost $185 round trip. Now the gas for the trip will cost more like $100.

With the $85 we'll save, it looks to me like the first 4 cases of beer are now free!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I budget all year for my week up in the U.P. so gas price was not going to determine wether we went or not. Even with the deerhunting rig only getting 10 mpg we are out of here next week.

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
I am heading up this week for a nice 10 day hunt that includes the first 2 days of firearms. I do it every year though.
This morning I was calculating how much money I needed to take out of the bank for the 480 mile round trip. I came up with a whopping $50.00 for gas, and will still have a 1/2 of tank when I get home! UN - B -LEAVE - ABLE!
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I go north every weekend in October and November regardless of the gas prices. I was bumming a few months back thinking of how much it was going to cost but now that gas is 2.07 by my house some of my concerns have been lifted.

The increase in gas prices just means that you can't spend as much at the bar for food and beer. I bring food and beer up with me and don't go out to get bar food very often if at all. It's a good way to save money and a good way to clean up last years venison supply before adding this years meat to the freezer.

Gas would have to get pretty damn high (or I would have to get pretty damn broke) to keep me out of the woods come fall. I wait 10 months for hunting season to come back around, when it finally gets here I am getting north come hell or high water!!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Gas typically is not the major expense for most families. Food, mortgage, and vehicle payments/maintenance usually are. And hopefully you are saving more for retirement each year than you spend on gas. I know some families that spend more on hockey fees for their kids than they ever spend on gas. It just doesn't make sense to let it run your life. Go hunting and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
my brother and dad and I were actually talking about having a UP deer camp up at our cabin.... i know we wont see a dang thing but it sure would be fun... especially because i might be gone come January... should know in a couple weeks by the way... talked to the background investigator yesturday:)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If gas/diesel was $10.00 a gallon, I would still head North...

It's a tradition for pete sake.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I know gas prices are a factor for many (myself included), but how many park their vehicles once they arrive at camp and don't move them? The last few years, the drive up to camp then back home was all my truck moved. It stayed in the same spot all week while at deer camp. Don't use a lot of gas when it's parked!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Harpo1 good point. I figure I actually use about the same amount of gass in a week going north as I do going to work. The truck just doesn't get moved much. So by the time i factor going back and fourth to work there is not much difference.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well for me gas is the only thing that really decides where I hunt at a given point in time..I have not left college and headed home to hunt at all because its too expensive to make the trip..So ive been staying close and hunting close by..good luck guys

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I'm heading to Iron county on saturday. I was going no matter what but its nice to see the price drop. I wonder what the over/under is on how long it will take to get back to over 3 bucks, since the election is over.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was gonna go no matter what but it is nice to see the gas prices drop some. Now if Diesel would drop my dad would be happy, cuz or hunting rig is a chevy 6.6 diesel loaded with a full size slide in camper, also towing a popup camper. I will be at the normal spot in Dickinson County Nov 20- end of season. Dad and uncle are going up on the 17th so camp will be all set when I get there!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have already been up north 3 times and have been to the west side of the state once, so one more trip up north for a 5 day hunt was already in the plans. Now being that gas is a heck of lot cheaper, it just a littel bonus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gas prices...
I've been up scouting a few weekends thus far ;-)
:confused: Have you seen the prices at the camp grounds:mad:
Why are the camp site prices keep going up when they are closing more and doing less improvement... That's B.S. I have no problem paying the increase but as an outdoorsman lets get something in return...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just an FYI. Gas around Fife Lake is usually cheaper than most other places around here, by my observations anyway. $2.09 today at Fife lake vs. $2.18 everywhere else.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Going up to Lake county this weekend. Was up there three weekends ago with the family. Didn't get to hunt (only a two day WE) as I was looking at the colors :yikes:. Not really my cup of joe ya' know leaves are leaves. And leaves mean rakes. Rakes mean endless labor............

Either way I planned on going up in April as I have a buddy flying in from down south for this annual trip. Hopefully the weather is decent.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We were heading up no matter what. We buy the majority of our food and stuff a few weeks before heading up. So when the time comes to head up, the only major expense is gas. We hardly ever leave the farm, maybe once if we run out of something. It's great to see the price so low though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts