Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Stuckeys used to be the place for cheap breakfast. Heading up north, dad would stop and buy the family breakfast. 2 eggs, toast and jelly was .99 cents.
We would get the upgrade version with 2 pieces of bacon or sausage. Probably cost $1.29
There was 8 of us, so it probably cost him $20 to feed us all and fill the truck.

The good ol days

·
Super Moderator
4,995 Posts
I like their burritos but not the tacos.
You're crazy. The tienda is called Super Taco for a reason. I like to order two chicken with cheese tacos and add Nopales ( grilled cactus).

I also order a burrito for later to reheat in the oven with a ton of cheese on top after a heavy coat of both their red and green salsas.

Nowadays I just make the same stuff at home using a griddle but if I'm in the area I will often stop by for a bite.

The owner is pretty cool and agreed to fill up some squeeze bottles of their salsas that I keep on hand in my fridge.

I've touted them here on the forum before in a different thread. I like the restaurant supply shop in the corner too.

I think the original owners should be opening up a place just down the road on John R pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
30,274 Posts
You're crazy. The tienda is called Super Taco for a reason. I like to order two chicken with cheese tacos and add Nopales ( grilled cactus).

I also order a burrito for later to reheat in the oven with a ton of cheese on top after a heavy coat of both their red and green salsas.

Nowadays I just make the same stuff at home using a griddle but if I'm in the area I will often stop by for a bite.

The owner is pretty cool and agreed to fill up some squeeze bottles of their salsas that I keep on hand in my fridge.

I've touted them here on the forum before in a different thread. I like the restaurant supply shop in the corner too.

I think the original owners should be opening up a place just down the road on Jon R pretty soon.
It's the grilled tortilla that I don't care for, too soft. I like tacos with yellow corn tortillas that are deep fried.

·
Premium Member
30,274 Posts
Try the Chinese carryout food inside 168 in the back corner in the shopping center next to Big Lot on John R, south of 14 Mile.
You will have to wear a mask and they give you plastic gloves to wear.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Aldi "fresh" pizza isn't bad and cheaper than Meijer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Those pizza's are awesome. My wife grabs a couple every time we walk past them. Lol

There used to be a truck stop off I 96. Webberville exit that had nice sized portions of fried chicken livers or gizzards for 2.99. Greasy road trips, but soooo good.
OHHHH yes!! Fried chicken livers with some hot sauce, that is some good eats right there!

I get a package of chicken gizzards and hearts every time my wife makes chicken noodle soup. She can't stand the gizzards, but loves hearts from any critter, same as I do. It works out, I get all the gizzards.

Pickled turkey gizzards are a nice snack too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got to love those Wendy's commercials. They will show you a juicy 2" high burger with the meat bigger than the bun, but when you open up the bag it looks like someone drove over it and you ask yourself: Where's the Beef??

A young stomach may say yes to Cheap Eats, but a wise old stomach says give me some quality you cheap a$$!!

·
Administrator
26,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Got to love those Wendy's commercials. They will show you a juicy 2" high burger with the meat bigger than the bun, but when you open up the bag it looks like someone drove over it and you ask yourself: Where's the Beef??

A young stomach may say yes to Cheap Eats, but a wise old stomach says give me some quality you cheap a$$!!
They all look better in a commercial than in real life. Mc D, BK, Wendys, Arby's.... all of them.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
The pictures of food in food commercials are not pictures of real food, 99% of the time. There are companies that make (very expensive) plastic replicas of food dishes that would fool most anyone in pictures. They can make the colors better, the shine brighter, and in general make it look better than the real food.

Costco Kirkland cheese pizza, and I pile my own stuff on it. 4 pizza's for 8$ or so.
For $8 you get 4 of some sort of frozen pre-made pizza crust, topped with a small amount of sauce, sparely sprinkled with cheese, and a few pepperoni pieces. For $25 at Costco, I can buy flour, yeast, tomato sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese enough to make 20 pizzas in half-pan size (1/2 of a full baking sheet, which are also sold at Costco). I've got a good pizza crust recipe, and we just make our own. I literally do not remember the last time we bought pizza, although I know it has been in the last year. Our grandkids ask for pizza when they visit (it's been awhile), and they all get pizza from restaurants somewhat regularly.

Costco also has decent Italian Sausage, Ham, Onions, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, and most things people enjoy on pizza. My wife loves "Pesto Primavera," which ingredients are shamelessly pilfered from Cottage Inn; and Costco carries everything we need for that.

There is nothing like making your own food for Cheap Eats. Nothing. Any time you are paying someone else to make it, cost is added. For the cost of a Ribeye dinner in a nice restaurant, with a couple drinks, I can feed my family the same meal, with a bunch of drinks. But I do look forward to having someone serve me food and drinks in a fine dining setting, again. I won't be looking for Cheap Eats, though.

·
Premium Member
30,274 Posts
I want to say someone mentioned they had ribs and those were good too. I never really looked.
No ribs at the Costco food court thing. Right now there is a limited menu and no inside seating.

·
Premium Member
30,274 Posts
LOL! Thus far the 4 for $1.99 Middle Eastern meat pies are top shart condensers on the cheap eats food list. :D
Never had that kind of problem with them, but I don't have a delicate system that only handles milk toast and cream of wheat.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts

download (2).jpeg

41 - 60 of 93 Posts