Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Was that from a segment open to the Great Lakes?

I sometimes think those really really blue Brookies may have ‘coasted’ in. Can’t wait to continue some research on that idea, soon.

You should be able to get a Master Angler patch for that one.
Yes it's open to the great lakes. I wish I had the chance to measure it before it flopped back into the river. I'm back up here for the weekend and planning a float tube trip for tomorrow.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Two spring ago right after I snapped a fly rod on a twig , I grabbed spinning outfit and landed an 18” brookie. Figured the River felt bad missed The trip this year due to the plague have fun up there

Tony
Thanks big medicine. Great posts always great pix too. Wonder what your preferred stream trout set up is? I fish ultralight almost exclusively except out on the big water. Just wondering your favorite rod reel line etc. thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks big medicine. Great posts always great pix too. Wonder what your preferred stream trout set up is? I fish ultralight almost exclusively except out on the big water. Just wondering your favorite rod reel line etc. thanks
Thanks Grinnell- for smaller creeks I use a 4 1/2 ft st croix rod and bigger rivers I use a 5 1/2 ft rod- 6-8 lb mono and braided line with rapalas when I'm looking for big browns. I've always used shimano reels but I bought a Penn reel a few years ago and really like it. I started making my own spinners a few years ago and make them on a thicker wire so they won't bend like store bought spinners.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
The first one is a pink and the second one is a steelhead. I'll be in the Soo tomorrow if you want to come up and catch some pinks. You can really tell by the spots on the tail on a pink.
Screenshot_20200924-184534~2.jpeg
Screenshot_20200924-184632~2.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
The first one is a pink and the second one is a steelhead. I'll be in the Soo tomorrow if you want to come up and catch some pinks. You can really tell by the spots on the tail on a pink. View attachment 580199 View attachment 580201

This time of year the pinks really transform. white vertical streaks from the belly up, greenish coloration. The males get humps. Normal coloration in the summer is silver and can look similar to coho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm just curious what time of year those fish were caught. Our group has been going up in late July had 2 great years than the last 2 years have not been near as good. Trying to find a better time of year. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I'm just curious what time of year those fish were caught. Our group has been going up in late July had 2 great years than the last 2 years have not been near as good. Trying to find a better time of year. Thanks!
If you're talking about pinks, I was told around end of August through September. We started catching them labor day weekend and really got into them middle of September.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts