Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to check Deer Lake and Susan Lake tomorrow for ice thickness, I’m sure it’s safe. Anyone else have any Charlevoix county or nearby ice reports?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Reactions: Tron322

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deer has 3 solid inches with some white ice on top, Susan is good to go 6 solid inches. I drove to the launch at Thumb today there a couple guys sitting on buckets, looked like a shanty was popped up way out there. Didn’t get to fish was too busy, maybe this week while the kids are still off school.

Reactions: lmholmes11

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: lmholmes11

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fished on Thumb lake yesterday with a buddy and wanted to give a report. The east end is wide open and west end has maybe 2 inches of ice with lots of slush on top . More people took 2 steps and turned around than stayed to fish . I don’t blame them as I would not have been out there without my life jacket , rope , and buddy to drag my ass out if I fell through . The bite was SLOW.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I fished on Thumb lake yesterday with a buddy and wanted to give a report. The east end is wide open and west end has maybe 2 inches of ice with lots of slush on top . More people took 2 steps and turned around than stayed to fish . I don’t blame them as I would not have been out there without my life jacket , rope , and buddy to drag my ass out if I fell through . The bite was SLOW.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone ever fish Nowland, Adam’s, or Lake Marion? I took a look at them a few weeks ago and they were all froze over. I’ve never fished them just curious if they produce fish in the winter time.

·
Super Moderator
4,997 Posts
Any ice updates on lake cvx or thumb? Coming up this weekend with a buddy. Curious what to expect.

Off topic:

I'm curious about your new avatar pic. What's going on there? Looks like a brook trout but there appears to be dark spots above the lateral half rather than vermiculation. Is that just a trick of the low resolution?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was told it’s a cuttthroat. Did a hike-in trip to boulder lake in Montana almost 10 years ago. Whole lake is filled with them, could’ve caught 8” ones with a bare hook all day. This one came out of the depths of about 30’ to hit a fly. Gin clear water so watching it was kinda neat. I don’t take many pics so it’s still one of the coolest fish pics I got. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Off topic:

I'm curious about your new avatar pic. What's going on there? Looks like a brook trout but there appears to be dark spots above the lateral half rather than vermiculation. Is that just a trick of the low resolution?
I was told it’s a cuttthroat. Did a hike-in trip to boulder lake in Montana almost 10 years ago. Whole lake is filled with them, could’ve caught 8” ones with a bare hook all day. This one came out of the depths of about 30’ to hit a fly. Gin clear water so watching it was kinda neat. I don’t take many pics so it’s still one of the coolest fish pics I got. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any ice updates on lake cvx or thumb? Coming up this weekend with a buddy. Curious what to expect.
I did see someone on the south arm of Charlevoix last week but the ice looked terrible. The north arm is wide open, no ice. Thumb is good to go, so is Deer Lk.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did see someone on the south arm of Charlevoix last week but the ice looked terrible. The north arm is wide open, no ice. Thumb is good to go, so is Deer Lk.

Appreciate it, thank you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Charlevoix is wide open and the south arm suffered some deterioration with the warm weather last week. A friend told me the river is just gushing right now sending a pretty good current into the south arm. The big lake didn't lock up till Jan 29th last season.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like the whole lake is locked up now and people have been venturing out. Just seeing if there are any reports, we did get a good dumping of snow the last two days.

Reactions: NEW HUDSON WALT

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like the lake fared well through the storm, the wind was whipping and blew a good amount of it off but there are some good drifts. They have machines on the south arm and downtown Boyne area but not out towards Hemingway point yet where they are reporting 3-4".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts