Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Seem to have found myself stuck on the couch with a bad case of covid. Im bored out of my mind and reading all things fishing. Being a new boat owner this summer i plan on doing alot of adventuring up north. There is very little information seasonally about the fishing around the charity islands. Anyone who wants to share any information here would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I bet you would get more info about this in the warm water/saginaw bay thread. I have fished the charities many times both jigging & trolling & have done well every time but the guys in the other thread will have some good info for ya. I believe there is a fellow out of au gres named Dave chiz, or something like that, he is very knowledgeable in this area & ive heard Andy Otto, from the tawas thread talk about the charities as well. Good luck & stay safe & I hope you get over that covid soon!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Have a good chart plotter. There's some structure there that gets interesting in a hurry.

Lots of the Bay tournaments the guys targeting bigger fish run out to or north of the islands.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Cool thing about the charities is you can fish in ten fow out to 80+ in relatively short distance. Wish there was an access at the singing bridge though to cut down on the travel time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im more looking for conversion about there area? Do the fish seem to relate to the steeples during certain times? Or the shallow rocks around the island? I have ever one of the steeples stored on my garmin. Im excited to explore

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
I've fished around the Charities and it's one of those things, it can be great fishing, but be careful there are a lot of big rocks out there that will gladly eat your prop. Having went to high school in Augres we used to go out there quite a bit, interesting place. Lots of BIG water adders there, scary looking but harmless. As someone mentioned the pro walleye anglers fish alot up in that area as there always seems to be fish around there. I have done it in a long time but we used to drift between the two islands using Erie Dearies tip with crawlers and used to the hammer them.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
I was soaking some spawn at Singing Bridge today (no runs, no hits, no errors), and saw a boat trolling south from Tawas, toward Big Charity. I went through Tawas, and there were two rigs in the lot at the mouth of the river. The river was wide open, but the dock was out. There was zero shore ice around Singing Bridge, although the river was iced over, just upstream from the mouth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Big smallies, really fun to sight fish in the spring. Like others have said the N side are the Steeples worth trolling with bouncers or jigging as the Bay slows down but its always hard to beat "humps" or around the Black Hole regions if your looking to pound fish. Also pull into the port on the N side of Big Charity and take a walk to the bed and breakfast, good people and neat Island to stretch your legs and let the dog run.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The steeples (north of Big Charity) are approximately equidistant from the Caseville and Au Gres launches. 12-15 miles one way depending on which port you launch from, and how well you navigate.

It's a hike, and best done in good conditions, and only if you know what you are doing.

I fished there once, on the west side of Big Charity. The water is very shallow quite a distance from the island shore, this was in 2009 when the water level was relatively low. The bottom where we fished was pretty featureless, and seemed like a limestone slab resembling a one mile square pool table. Not much cover for fish, and not much water. It was fun to take the boat ride out and back, but we encountered no fish.

We did not fish at the steeples, because at that time I wasn't aware of them. From the initial encounter with Big Charity, it's still a couple of miles to get to the steeples.

For me and I think for others, the juice (fishing) might not be worth the squeeze (boat ride).

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The steeples (north of Big Charity) are approximately equidistant from the Caseville and Au Gres launches. 12-15 miles one way depending on which port you launch from, and how well you navigate.

It's a hike, and best done in good conditions, and only if you know what you are doing.

I fished there once, on the west side of Big Charity. The water is very shallow quite a distance from the island shore, this was in 2009 when the water level was relatively low. The bottom where we fished was pretty featureless, and seemed like a limestone slab resembling a one mile square pool table. Not much cover for fish, and not much water. It was fun to take the boat ride out and back, but we encountered no fish.

We did not fish at the steeples, because at that time I wasn't aware of them. From the initial encounter with Big Charity, it's still a couple of miles to get to the steeples.

For me and I think for others, the juice (fishing) might not be worth the squeeze (boat ride).
Sometimes its nice launching from Tawas when heading to the steeples. In the summertime when you frequently get those southwest winds, you can run down there in the morning when it is relatively calm. Then ride the building waves back to the north at the end of your trip.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have every steeple plotted on my garmin for summer. Im excited to try to fish them. But with having a boat with downriggers i am also very excited for the deep water outside them!

Quite a variation of species within a few miles of Charity. If bottom bouncers dont produce I would for sure troll smaller spoons maybe thin fins off riggers like Tawas cold water section and pickup about everything lake has to offer, would need to bump speed closer to 2.5-2.8 though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite a variation of species within a few miles of Charity. If bottom bouncers dont produce I would for sure troll smaller spoons maybe thin fins off riggers like Tawas cold water section and pickup about everything lake has to offer, would need to bump speed closer to 2.5-2.8 though.
Tawas.. spoons and body baits this summer.. 2.7mph
Screenshot_20200712-164058_Snapchat.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts