Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have talked, asked, and researched about them for a couple years. Finally going to head out there on Friday. I have the charts and am watching the weather (wind), but if all holds out, I'll be able to finally make it.

Has anyone been out recently? Obviously I am looking to target SMB. Any particular lures that are really hot right now? I plan on have a few rods, some set up w/ tubes, and gulp, while others will be cranks and jerk bait. Any good suggestions on depth, or general location around the islands (PM). I will be practicing C/R, like always.

Hope to have some stories by Sunday

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
The easiest would be a jig. Find one on its bed and cast at it. Me and a freind caught about 15 a peice near augres last wknd. Fish where very aggresive and fat. Fish where in. 5 to 8 fow. U should do good at the islands.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Look at the N side of the Island and on the S E towards Sand Point. Be careful there, there are some rock humps that are scary. good for smb there though.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Get in tight to the SW part of the big island real early in the a.m. watch out for rocks...should pull some chunky fish on goby tubes

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Look at the N side of the Island and on the S E towards Sand Point. Be careful there, there are some rock humps that are scary. good for smb there though.
Yes, the north side has some scary reefs that have claimed many lower units...no matter where you are at around the island, caution should be taken...rocks the size of Volkswagen buses out there

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes, the north side has some scary reefs that have claimed many lower units...no matter where you are at around the island, caution should be taken...rocks the size of Volkswagen buses out there

Use extreme caution with the rocks. That place is a props worse nightmare. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was out there last Saturday looking for bedding bass. Didn't find a one. A few weeks earlier I gotem pretty good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent all day Friday, and half of Saturday hunting & pecking at the SMB. Tried the shallows and picked up a few sight fishing, but w/ the high sky and little wind they were easily spooked.

Found some weed beds in about 8fow, and hooked up w/ somer good size fish.

Saturday was a real bust, eyed a lot of SMB in 6-8fow and tried to jig them up, but no interest.....might have been the hot temps, and no wind/smooth water.

But, over all not bad for my first time out. Definitely have to hit it next year, earlier in the C & R season....

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
This look like some good fish, that one has to be pushing the 3.5 lb mark. I caught one that size near a rock on Small Charity. If you see a rock with a big scar and chunk taken out of it that is the one I hit while going 15 mph, I drove all the way back to Sand Pt with one heck of a wobble. Wanna buy a used boat and motor?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've always done best at the Northern end of the big island, Watch for rocks ! fishing the charity's can be VERY rewarding, but also VERY Dangerious !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found a large sand flat on the north, northwest side. Must have ran out for about a mile. Are these big rocks further out???? I only noticed one or two big VW bus size rocks, most were 2-3 ft across. I basically fished between the 3 islands, but it was pretty shallow/warm and quiet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Saturday was tough for me Walleye fishing, too calm in the shallow water I was fishing. I should have ran out deep. Did catch a 3-4# Bigmouth on a crawler Sunday in the weeds off Heisterman. I would love to learn how to catch bas in those weeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts