Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So another thread got me wondering how often this happens. Has anybody ever experienced being charged by a deer?

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
No but a few years back going to my stand an hour before daylight, I had a buck grunt so close to me I could actually smell him. He didn't run or show fear and that made me a little nervous to say the least.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
About 15 years ago I knocked down a fork horn with my smooth bore 870 using a foster slug.

When I went to recover the buck it charged, but lucky for me only the rear legs were working so it basically plowed toward me allowing me time to get behind a tree & take a kill shot.

When I examined the buck, the only evidence of my first shot was that the right side antler was broken off at the base. I theorized that my first shot hit the antler temporarily knocking the fork horn unconscious.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was nearly overrun while fishing in macomb county, by a whole herd. Apparantly these deer are hand fed by people, and the deer were pissed off when i had no food. I had to fire a round from my pistol into the ground to disperse the herd...

True story.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
56 Posts
been bowhunting for many years with a group of guys and over that time we've been charged several times by both does and bucks that were wounded.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
I had to kill one that wouldn't walk away after using a grunt call. Standing in a winter wheat field with a posturing buck at 8 yards who won't respond to waving arms and yelling is extremely intense.

Years ago as a teenager I was hunting a treeline that split two alfalfa fields. The tree line was torn up with scrapes. Each day on my way to stand I would pour doe in heat lure in each scrape, that night a buck would go nuts pawing the scrapes out or making new scrapes beside that one. That went on for a couple weeks without ever seeing the buck until one evening I will never forget. On that evening I had a total of 7 does and fawns scattered around me which was unreal for my area in the early 80s. Well mr big shows up running circles 50 yards out around my tree blowing air, stomping his feet, pawing the ground and making a sound I didn't hear until years later, the snort wheeze. That carried on until it was too dark to see, now I'm affraid to climb down. This deer new I was in that tree. Being a half mile from home and before I had my drivers license it was going to be a long walk. I climbed down out of the tree started my walk towards the road. 80 yards from my stand and that deer is behind me bounding from side to side while advancing. I pulled my bow back and yelled, to my surprise it stopped and stood there for a while then just left. A neighboring hunter killed that deer during gun season. Not sure what it would score but it was 15pts and very tall tined.

·
Registered
19,114 Posts
I got charged by a buck that I shot with an arrow. I walked up n him thinking he was dead, laid my bow down and he jumped up and came at me. I jumped out of the way and he crashed to the ground dead.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I use to work in a place where I would feed them (city deer). I started out with a trophy rock. When I went to hang a camera, I encountered a doe that started out 20 yards away looking at me. Which was cool at first but it kept coming closer and closer as I was half hidden behind a tree. It was looking right at me the entire time. Well at about 5 yards I started yelling and waving my arms and it ran off but stopped at about 20 yards. I came to the conclusion her fawns were somewhere close and she was trying to draw my attention away from them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
About 10 years ago a bunch of us were pushing corn and a hurd of deer jumped and ran back at us. My dad got hit head on and ran over by a doe. Pretty funny, we remind him of this when ever we can.:p

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Have never been charged by a deer but about 20 years ago I was bow hunting in tree stand, got tired and before I fell asleep and fell out of the tree I got down and layed against the tree and went to sleep. I was awaked to a small spike right in my face "sniffing" me! Must have been snoring? Anyway I'm not sure who was more startled when I woke up and we met eye to eye but I never moved and he just wandered off and I had a good laugh and a good nap! :)

The second time was again during nap. I was awaked by the sound of something thundering towards me and just about the time I was awake enough to figure out what was going on I had a six point about 15 feet away coming from me at full tilt. I was postioned against a large burned out white pine stump I had brushed in as a blind. He got to me, saw me but it was to late he made a leap and turn and was gone before I could get a bead on him. Good times and unforgettable memories for sure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it was my thread you were referring to? When I first seen the deer she scared me so bad I let out a nice lil scream lmao she only ran about 10 yards and stopped that's when I pulled out the phone and started to record I got another video about a min long of her before the one of her charging me lol awesome experience thou

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I was charged by a big 8 point I liver shot a few years ago. Gave it 7 hours before tracking. Found lots of blood in 3 different beds over 400 yards or so. Finally found it, it jumps up, charges and almost gores me, and took off running. Ran 1/2 a mile and tracks ended (snow on the ground) at the edge of a lake. Never found him

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had the same encounter burksee had fell a sleep a couple hundred yards from stand eat my lunch and had my pistol on my lap .then the next thing I know I feel that same wetness on my face and I open one eye and it fork horn staring me down inches from my face. Waited a minute to see who was going to move first .was able to tilt my pistol up and put one wright through hos neck and dropped dead Wright their . Then I had to change my pants never been that shocked in life .when the gun went off it was like it had silencer on it .you never heard the shoot my uncle who hunted about 100 yards away never new I shoot .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts