Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which hooks do you use on Cleos, KO's, etc.?

I lost a nice King last night because I took a brand new Cleo out of the box thinking it would be sharp-WRONG. I almost bought some Mustad red trebles tonight but put them back on the shelf to get a verdict here first.

I will mostly use mine for pier fishing BTW.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sharpen them. I always check and put a new edge on my hooks at the start and during fishing if needed. If strength is a problem, switch out

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
SINGLE HOOKS....

Gamagatzu trailer hooks will go trough the top of the mouth and out the eye....or through the corner bone in the mouth. NO MORE LOOSING FISH... END OF STORY!

If you think they can see it maybe they can, but there are always stupid ones:)

To answer your question I use Excalibur mostly or sharpen the heck out of the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I ditto Dave's post about Gamakatsu single hooks. The only "difference" is I use the siwash style & not the trailer hook style.

Attach the siwash so that the point of the hook is on the cup side of the spoon.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have tried both and they work. I just use the trailer hooks because they seem to have a knock out punch i will try the other style single hooks again

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've never had a problem with new cleo hooks not being sharp. Sometimes you just loose fish and have to except it and not blame the hooks, line, pole, drag, moon phase, ext.:lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had a problem with new cleo hooks not being sharp. Sometimes you just loose fish and have to except it and not blame the hooks, line, pole, drag, moon phase, ext.:lol:
So true. :fish:

Back to the hooks, what stores carry the siwash and trailer hook style in the Gammi's?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Gander might but if not check a bait shop on the west side that sells spoons. They usually have anything you would need hook wise.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Yep-gamakatsu closed eye siwash. Had to order mine, kinda hard to find. Most online places were out of stock when I was looking(May). Awesome hookups, and like posted above make sure the point is on the cup side. Getting rid of those junk VMC hooks that come stock on most spoons is the first thing I do. Never have I pulled a spoon out of the package and found a sharp hook, at least not to my liking...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I use the 4/0 Gammi singles on standard spoons and the 5/0 on mags. I switched to all single hooks on spoons this year and have zero regrets. Almost every fish comes in hooked through the roof of the mouth, good hookup rate.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
SINGLE HOOKS....

Gamagatzu trailer hooks will go trough the top of the mouth and out the eye....or through the corner bone in the mouth. NO MORE LOOSING FISH... END OF STORY!
No, they don't stick fish very well:evil:.....

We've took a few eyes out with them, especially on steelhead. Singles are awesome, just run 10lb, crank down the drag and barb'em hard. You could freespool a fish and it wouldn't shake it.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts