Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When out on your favorite pier how often are you changing lures to see what is working best? Do you have an old faithful you stick with or are you changing until you get into some action ?

If I am tied down to one location, I'll make 25 casts with a lure before I change it, and I keep doing that until I get a hit, then I stick with that lure for another 50 casts.

Eli

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think changing lures too much takes too much time out of casting...i dont think color has as big of an impact as matching the size and vibration of baitfish...I like to stay with one lure for 30 - 50 casts but somedays I have lure confidence issues....:(

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I have my old "trusted and faithful" lures that I will always start with. I usually stick with casting them about 50 times or more before I start digging in my tackle box for something different.

When I have reached that point however, I usually go with a snap on the end of my line, making it easier and quicker to change lures. The only problem with a snap is that they will sometimes adversely affect the movement of your lures, and sometimes will even cause the hooks of your lure to "double over" catching the eyes of the snap. I'll cast the new colors, spoons or crank baits about 20 times before moving on to something new.

Try to work all different levels of the water column before you decide that that specific bait doesn't work and move on to something else.

Another affective technique is to bring two rods. One for casting and one for bait.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]
sometimes will even cause the hooks of your lure to "double over" catching the eyes of the snap
use the smallest ball bearing swivel that you can get away with that will prevent the tangles, but I know you use spiderwire so that could cause it too. The only lures I tie on are crankbaits.

Try to work all different levels of the water column before you decide that that specific bait doesn't work and move on to something else.
absolutly agree....also your retreieve cadence as you reel in is very important...

Eli

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
use the smallest ball bearing swivel that you can get away with that will prevent the tangles, but I know you use spiderwire so that could cause it too. The only lures I tie on are crankbaits.
Must be my wild and lively retrieves!:corkysm55

·
Registered
311 Posts
I usually give each lure about 50 casts, just enough to cover a nice pattern of water. I am always suprised to see what works best from day to day.

There are some nights though that no matter what lure you put on, as long as the retreive and depth are the same, you are going to get into fish.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I give it every 20 casts when I am out on the pier by myself or very few people. I have a box of lures no more then 2 feet away so it only takes me 5 secs at most to change lures

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
since most the time im alone and can walk most of the peir ill fan cast the entire area before i change up..might take two hours...never had a set number of casts until i change...usually i can see the bait fish in the area and match size

1 - 8 of 8 Posts