Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the slush on most of the lakes this year I was wondering what you guys are using to get out on your atv's, and how well it is working. I (along with most people) am having a hard time getting of the beat'n path. Hopefully with the warm weather thats coming it will melt that top layer and refreeze.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks polarbear. I guess I did'nt see that thread.:eek:

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I use to race my 3-wheeler on the ice and we always used ice cutter studs. I've never used them for ice fishing but if you put enough on the hook up real nice. I could pull wheelies comin out of the corners. Chains are probably cheaper and easier to put on. Plus you can take them off. Once you put studs through a tire that's pretty much where they'll stay and that's all you'll probably use them for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have chains on all 4 tires, it save my quad one time. I had a back tire go threw the ice which caused one of my front tire to rise up. A buddy of mind sat on the front to get both tires on the ice an I got out. Could not with out chains on all 4. Studs would not have work.:D

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
witht the chains let the air out of the tire. (it was easier to do this with the wheel off the machine on the bench) then put the chain on it. inflate the tire so the chain is tight but not to tight. this way at any speeds you wont get to bad of a hump. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chains will make a big difference but the quality of the chains will effect how well they will work. Get ones that are 2 link (not 4 ) this gives more wraps of chain around the tire. The ones I have are 2 link and also have grabbers on them, they are a lot more expencive but the cost is worth it. I have used them on the bay and had to pull others out that had only regular 4 link chains on, made beleivers out of them. But remember that the sluch is none forgiving it frezzes under the frame and will really drag you down and when you are stuck you are really stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts