Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Since fall is starting to creep up on us, only about a month and a half out from the start of bird season, I am hoping to meet some people and run the dogs in the central Michigan area. I have living in the south west area, Allendale to be exact, but I am at my inlaws often in shepherd. This will be my second full season grouse hunting and I am looking forward to it. I have a two year old gsp who loves to hunt. I am hoping to find some people to run my pup with before the season starts and even hunt with during the season. I find it a lot more fun when you have some one who is able to talk back and bust my chops for missing a chip shot. PMs are welcome and thank you in advance!

Paul

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I used to have a whitetail lease in Shepherd. Never seen any grouse over there, or pheasants, but I do remember seeing guys on the state land near my lease running dogs, so I assume they're there. I also remember there being at least one pheasant farm in Shepherd....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am lucky enough that my inlaws have a 20 acre parcel that we hunt out of. So far we have been deer and turkey hunting the last few years. We have noticed that we have some resident pats on the land, but I can not get myself to run the pup over there bc i know we would be pushing out the deer we are trying to get. We come up with a hit list of deer and try to grow them as much as we can. The surrounding neighbors also help in the effort of taking only mature deer, which is real nice. Driving from GR to Shepherd I have been seeing more and more pheasants along the stretch down 46. I know that there is some areas of HAP land around the shepherd area, but I do like to make the hike to gladwin and would love to chase roosters in the thumb this coming season. As I stated above I am just trying to connect with other bird hunters to run dogs together and hopefully learn a thing or too from someone who is more experienced than I am.

paul

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
There is some state land around there, that is where I saw people running bird dogs. You might want to check out MI-Hunt and do some scouting, you may not even have to stir up your own property. I never bird hunted up there, so I can't tell you personally. I can say, there are definitely stands of aspen, tons of berries and such, and what may be decent grouse habitat, but I personally have no clue what the status of grouse is around there.

You're lucky you have neighbors who are managing deer with you out there. Might be different where you are, but that whitetail lease wasn't great for us because we noticed that nearly every parcel around us within a few square miles was 20, 40 and 80 acre second home / hunting properties and everybody was up there opening day shooting EVERYTHING. We had nice 8 pointers on our game cams all the time, scrapes and rubs up the wazoo, had our own hit list like you did, but never saw any of them during hunting hours. We took like 4 does from that property the whole year, not a single buck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts