Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to Michigan and reside near Lansing. I have a 2000 Ranger R71 (17 ft) bass rig and am teaching my 14 yr old son the finer points of Bass Angling (and general all species fishing). I would like to know what lakes (within 1-2 hours) are deep enough to use my rig all summer and worth fishing. Additionally, does "No Wake" in Michigan mean big engine idle is okay or electric only? I have seen both in different states that I've fished and have looked on several sites with little success.
If there is a favorite online resource beyond the DNR site?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Sorry, can’t help you with local lakes.

If the entire lake is no wake it’s electric only. That’s too much trouble for a lot of people and those lakes tend to be good fishing. No wake areas on a lake that allows full speed elsewhere are ok for idling big motor.

·
RETIRED
8,449 Posts
If there is a favorite online resource beyond the DNR site?
The DNR run MRBIS website will show you all of the lakes within the range you are looking for.

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mrbis/mapbasic.aspx

By clicking on the little "star" it will bring up a popup box, and you should click on "more details" which will give a number of helpful items you are asking about. If you see a body of water that is shaded in red, then that lake or whatever has water craft controls. One of the more details you'll get for that lake will be a link to a full explanation of what watercraft controls are in effect for that body of water.

BTW, from my experience, no-wake simply means use of the big motor at a speed only sufficient to maintain steerage <sp?>.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Sorry, can’t help you with local lakes.

If the entire lake is no wake it’s electric only. That’s too much trouble for a lot of people and those lakes tend to be good fishing. No wake areas on a lake that allows full speed elsewhere are ok for idling big motor.
Can you show me where it says electric only on a no wake lake ??? Lake Hudson is a no wake and have been there lots of times with my boat using my motor and have been checked while on the water and no CO has said anything about using my motor . Same with round lake at Hayes state park.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Can you show me where it says electric only on a no wake lake ??? Lake Hudson is a no wake and have been there lots of times with my boat using my motor and have been checked while on the water and no CO has said anything about using my motor . Same with round lake at Hayes state park.
You are correct. The lake I based my statement on turns out to be "no motor" not "no wake".

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
welcome to Michigan Sportsman Ozzie.Good lakes west of lansing include;Jordan,Morrison,Thornapple,Sessions(no wake),Leech and Middle,Carter.past Hastings ,bigger lakes include Gun,Gull.these are a few of the lakes.midnr has a great map of lakes and launches.you may want to head east to some smaller reservoirs/floodings or toward Wixom.the problem is there are too many choices.:Welcome: to Michigan Ozzie and family!:Welcome: (not to mention south of jacktown choices((Jackson)).if you are interested in a certain lake the MS search engine helps.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Don’t forget the Grand river in Lansing above Moore’s Dam. I had my boat moored at the boat club for a couple years. I could make it all the way to the south side of Diamondale in my 17’ Tracker. Plenty of great bass, pike, catfish and some big carp. Besides the days they have a Bass tournament, you’ll generally have the place to yourself.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
It is dependent by lake. I have electric motor only lakes and no wake lakes that allow gas engines near me. Mott lake in genesee county is no wake and you can run your gas motor at idle speed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
It is dependent by lake. I have electric motor only lakes and no wake lakes that allow gas engines near me. Mott lake in genesee county is no wake and you can run your gas motor at idle speed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Correct but that wasn't what was said at first! He stated if it was a no wake lake it was ELECTRIC only ! All the lakes that i have seen that have SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS have signs posted saying what those restrictions are such as electric only, no motor whats so ever and so on.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
BTW, here is a very handy app that is available from Navionics.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

You can zoom in or out and see contour maps of any lake in the country. They will also show where the ramps are, etc. You can also use Google Maps / Google Earth to see what they look like from the satellite view. I learn a ton doing that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, here is a very handy app that is available from Navionics.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

You can zoom in or out and see contour maps of any lake in the country. They will also show where the ramps are, etc. You can also use Google Maps / Google Earth to see what they look like from the satellite view. I learn a ton doing that.
It is impressive. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
BTW, one really cool feature of Google Earth is that it shows the GPS coordinates for your cursor. You can drop a pin on a spot that looks good from the air and drive right to it when you get to the lake. You can also see the date that the imagery was taken, and change it to a different date if you want. You can see the "1999" down in the bottom left corner. I believe that means that the earliest image they have for this location is from 1999.

Sky Font Screenshot Map Slope

After you click on the 1999 icon, you will get a slider that allows you to select images from different times. The picture below shows what this same spot looked like on April 3rd, 2013. It was still covered in ice. Each line on the slider represents a different image that you can pick from. Pretty sweet.
Map Font Geological phenomenon Screenshot Terrestrial plant

When you first load Google Earth, the GPS coordinates will be in a different format, so you have to go to preferences and change it to match the format for your unit. Most of them use Degrees, Decimal minutes, as shown below.

Rectangle Azure Font Operating system Screenshot

This is especially helpful on any lakes that are clear, like most of the lakes up North or LSC. I have found rock-piles, weed edges, you name it. It can give you a "birds-eye view" of the lake before you get there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.